Hub Mesh...not so much

Those ping times seem kind of long for two devices on the same LAN segment. Here are what the ping times look like when I ping either one of my Hubitat hubs from the other ....

Both of these hubs are on the same switch.

One HE is plugged directly into my router, that is connected to fiber optic internet access. The other hub is connected to a hub, that is then connected to the same router as the other HE. However, I use...MOAC I think it's called. It's been a while.
Ethernet over coax cable, to get Gb speed to my detached garage where my server sits. on that end is another MOAC, with ether plugged into a switch, and then into the system. Yes, I see the difference in your pings. maybe something to do with the ethernet over coax.

That's most definitely extra latency from the MOCA transceivers. I wonder if it is packet loss. I would definitely try the suggestion of flipping to TCP on both hubs.

5 Likes

@user2303 I would agree with @FriedCheese2006 it is most likely the MOCA (I hate those things). If you can I would run a new line between switches. Also make sure within both hubs that network speed is set to Auto and not 100 Full. That said did you give setting both hubs to use TCP instead of UDP a try?

I do all things network over MOCA. It gives me the Gbps speeds I need to my plex server in my detached garage and game room. Plex server, sonarr, radarr, sab, tut, and all my users access plex over the Moca. I've not had any network issues with the MOCA in the 3 or 4 years of using it. It's been a blessing. Getting rid of MOCA is not an option. I'll have to return the HE's if for some reason it don't play well with it. Although I'm not convinced if slower pings would cause them not to see each other, when findmyhub sees both of them. I did try TCP on both, and it didn't change anything.

So here's the thing. You're right, it is unlikely to be a slow ping issue. However, if my memory serves me correctly, hub discovery is dependent on multicast. And I am unsure if multicast is working over the various segments of your home network, especially on segments that rely on MoCA.

If this is a multicast issue, then Hub Mesh is not the right solution for your needs. You should use HubConnect instead.

I'm tagging @csteele - if you go the HubConnect route, he is the best person to guide you.

Edit: FWIW, I used HubConnect for two years before Hub Mesh became available. HubConnect is very easy to setup (not as easy as Hub Mesh), but it is just as responsive and supports the same plethora of device types as Hub Mesh.

update: To simply things a bit, I brought HE two inside, to remove the MOCA issue. HE 1 is plugged into my primary router, that is connected directly to the fiber. HE 2 is plugged into a 2nd switch, which is plugged into the primary router. Everything looks the same as it did in the garage. findmyhub still finds them both and allows me to connect, but then I get stuck moving forward. I think there must be something I'm missing, or not doing. Can someone show me what this screen should look like, with a properly established hub mesh? Because it is exactly the same for me now:

Can you put them both on the same switch? Some routers do not route multicast between LAN segments.

1 Like

Actually, standby. I can't seem to connect to HE 1's hub portal. I'll have to figure that out.

ahh stupid. HE 1 got unplugged somehow. Let me boot it back up and see how it looks now.

Yea, same thing. On each hub when I "reconnect" I get this. What should I be getting?

Are they on the same switch? Or still your original setup, i.e. one on your router and one on a switch?

Before proceeding, please verify that multicast works between your router and the switch. Without that working, Hub Mesh will not work.

Can someone show me what the active hub screen should look like, with a poperly connected mesh? I've only got two HE's and no Smarthings hub, they're both on a fairly basic network now, assigned ips of 192.168.0.### everything looks as I would expect. Here are the new pings now:

Your issue is that multicast is not being routed on your LAN, assuming you have Hub Mesh setup at both ends.

I just seen on HE 1 I have a platform update available, which I don't have on the HE2. would different platforms versions matter?

Yea, thats I what I thought I was thinking I should see. Thank you. I'll have to figure out how to get them on the same switch...although it's not that complicated at this point.

Can you point me to something on multicast? I wouldn't know how to set it up.

Please try this:

• Plug both hubs to the same switch or router. Make sure they're accessible from some device (phone, tablet, PC) connected to the same switch/router.
  • Set hub mesh to TCP on one hub and reboot it. Do the same on the other. Discovery process is based on HTTP requests.
  • Check if hubs see each other in Settings - Hub mesh.
  • If they don't, send me hub ids. Maybe there will be something in the engineering logs, I'll check.
  • If they see each other while connected to the same switch/router, hub mesh is fine, and the issue is with the network setup.

I did all of that....same switch and tcp. same same:

If HE isn't capable of seeing one hub on a switch connected to a router with another hub, then it is not much use. It doesn't get much simpler. They have to be plugged into the exact same switch to see each other? That doesn't makes sense. I'll have to figure out HA after all to get automation extended to the garage it looks like. Thanks all for the help!