Hub Mesh incompatible change after update to 2.3.4.138 (if you didn't read the release notes)

To your point about communication: "It takes a village", possibly a mass email to all Hubitat consumers on what's coming.
It worked well in the medical community for my 40+ years.

And why is this going to be noticed any more than release notes that actually show up on your browser window during a hub update?

If someone isn't going to take the time to read that, they're not going to take the time to read anything else.

10 Likes

Weird don't remember the.bold and i.read the notes. Maybe.it wasn't there initially. I updated almost immediately when it came out.

1 Like

I'm glad for you it worked there...It never worked in the consumer electronics field in my 20+ years in it...peeps just don't like email ("SPAM, SPAM, THEY ARE SPAMMING ME AGAIN, I WILL NOT READ THAT!!") from creepy companies they bought stuff from. :slight_smile:

Part of my job was home visits w/customers. They would tell me varying versions of the same response - "Who has time to read all the emails I get from companies I buy things from. Not gonna happen..." Hard to blame them, as the normal experience in consumer retail is email abuse from companies who have your email address...

Just thought of something...maybe if HE used a really great subject line for the emails then no one could resist reading them. Something about penis enlargement maybe? That's a sure-fire winner. :scream: :rofl: :scream: :rofl:

3 Likes

Oh my. There would then need to be a way that those of us who read the release notes could opt out of such spam.

4 Likes

The port change is my only "why?" I had a issue with....

Yeah, you have to click on a link. I do that and then read it while waiting for a backup to be ready. Also, the new style of programming is harder to debug. I have one that is misbehaving and I do not know why. It is also sometimes hard to figure out what app to use. They used to have a simple lighting automation that worked great. Now it is buried somewhere.

Something like 8082 to 8083 or whatever. PS - Normally 8080 is the default but not for secured connections.

When I worked in QC I was taught about a concept called idiot-proofing. It became very useful later on when I went into computer programming. I put limits and checks on every input from the user.

1 Like

So I found out !! I expected to to resolve once I updated the second hub. It did not, at first. I tried a refresh every 2 minutes for a while and gave up and posted here. About 10 or 15 minutes later I was going to close that tab and noticed it had cleared up so I posted again stating that.

It's a good idea but it's kind of like an arms race. Someone will always make a better idiot. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I have to update mostly to support new devices, the last item I installed it still not even on the list but it recognized the S2 protocol the previous version lacked even though I used the older driver, I guess S2 is universal for Z-Wave? Oddly, I never got the prompt before for my other S2 devices, just some cryptic prompt that never asked for the code. It was suspicious. I do not remember it doing so for my first Minoston MP22ZP like it did for this newest one. I have tom use the Minoston MP21ZP device selection since the Minoston MP22ZP is not an option yet.

PS - the manual is wrong, it blinks blue while including and blinks purple which excluding and green when finished pairing, it just turns off once done excluding, That is not what the manual says

Why was UDP removed?

If i had to guess. In the instance where it couldn't connect maybe it kept trying and it was one reason for cpu spikes.. just a guess.

1 Like

Including some WiFi routers...

7 Likes

I never could get UDP working on any of my hubs and I have a 2 different ISP networks here

I just wish that the latest release would get pinned (and stay pinned) as a “latest topic” - it used to, not sure if it is my browser/app, or just something else.

I selected TCP/IP when I first set up Hub Mesh. It may have a little more overhead. That overhead is error checking and makes sure the information gets there rather than UDP's just tossing it out there and hoping it arrives.

My understanding is that the change was made in an attempt to make the Hub Mesh better, which I am pleased to see.

It feels like on many of the HE releases we almost don't need to read the release notes because there are only ever improvements, with only few adverse affects, if any, often fixed quickly if they occur. But occasionally breaking changes are unavoidable and we (consumers / users) need to take on the responsibility for ensuring we understand more about what we are introducing into our setup. If HE is providing important or critical functions to a household, then management of delivering changes to that platform should also be given an appropriate level of care and attention by those ultimately responsible for that household. If there are such critical elements to a household, membership of the Beta program along with a secondary hub to perform appropriate testing would, I imagine, be a prudent approach.

But most of all.... Let's all just calm down... yeah things break, let's deal with it rather than pointing fingers and getting all hot under the collar... We're all here to make our lives easier and more enjoyable... that doesn't come without a little work with where the industry is at, let's just accept that and try and enjoy the journey rather than fueling fires with negativity.... Just my 5c (AUD :wink: )

5 Likes

If you go here Release Notes - Hubitat you can turn on tracking so it's always in your unreads or if you want an email turn on Watching.

4 Likes