Hub Mesh - hubs aren't seeing each other

I guess I’m confused. I thought IGMP was what allowed hubmesh to work. How do you enable multicast?

I’ve tried both, no discernible difference - at least that I have noticed. If UDP works for you, the. I’d go with that over TCP.

UDP would only work if I enable IGMP. Sounds like I should just use TCP then rather than enabling IGMP since it'd make HubMesh less reliable

It is. IGMP Snooping allows the switch/router to view the packets and determine if they are passed to the various ports. Turning snooping off, stops it from playing traffic cop and allows the traffic.

IGMP doesn’t make Hub Mesh unreliable. IGMP essentially means multicast traffic, but it can spam a subnet. Having something block some of that traffic makes Hub Mesh unreliable. Also, a lot of multicast traffic can cause issues too, however this doesn’t appear to be an issue with Hub Mesh, but could be an issue for other things on that subnet. The reason it appears unreliable is that most switches and routers try to limit multicast traffic for performance reasons.

I see. So it's the IGMP snooping that's the issue. Not enabling IGMP itself.

So my mesh router is actually in AP mode. I'd have thought that since my main router (Verizon G1100) has multicast, HubMesh would have worked using UPnP. Unfortunately it doesn't.

I just set it up. Works well with my google nest wifi.

I have a wired backhaul with my nest wifi and i use a dumb gigabit switch as the backhaul switch that connects 6 google nest wifi pro devices (i use them mainly to get a seamless wifi network but i can't recommend google nest wifi, they are a bit unstable imho). one of the nest wifi pro devices are connected to a comcast modem (1 gigabit), I get about 300mbit to the internet with that down and about 25 up (i'm changing to a fiber link next, my city gives dedicated symmetrical 1.5 gigabit low latency fiber links to each resident via a citywide networ).

One thing i would like in the app interface for the mesh is a list of hubs participating in the mesh (and their status up/down/secured token used) as well as a list of all devices shared and available on the mesh. Maybe even entries per device listing which hub is using the mesh device.

but its a minor point, this is neat stuff! I'll check it for stability over the next couple of days. The hub-link was amazingly stable for me, hoping this is as well!

I think i'm going to buy my third hub, this makes it so easy to centralize automation while decentralizing device management.

I don't see the IGMP setting in my Orbi. Where are you seeing yours?

note, i don't have an orbi. There are lots of threads online on the orbi user groups complaining of lack of multicast support in orbi. The closest thing i could find is this: View Or Change Wan Settings - NETGEAR Orbi User Manual [Page 56] | ManualsLib

the part about igmp proxying seems to be what is helpful.

But as i said i don't have an orbi, just trying to be helpful.

Advanced Tab | Setup | WAN Setup | Disable IGMP Proxying

1 Like

Ahh in router mode only. Does not apply in AP mode which I am using.

1 Like

Please do not turn on IGMP on the router WAN port. In fact, you shouldn't have to turn on IGMP at all, as it is a Layer 3 protocol. Home routers should only need to know about IGMP if you need to route multicast traffic through the router.

Managed Switches use IGMP snooping to learn which network ports are participating in each multicast session, so as to eliminate a network wide broadcast. The IGMP protocol should always work perfectly with IGMP snooping, provided the network switch can handle the maps, because the IGMP protocol includes a subscription solicitation process. If IGMP snooping is turned on prior to the initialization of an IGMP subscription request, the router will create a route for the solicited IGMP broadcasts. This could be a problem if the routers are trying to both broadcast and subscribe to the same multicast session. If this is the case, that would be a cyclical subscription and violates the IGMP designs. Not saying it won't work, but if it doesn't then in this unique case the IGMP snooping could be at fault. But again, unless you know that you need multicast on the internet, do not enable IGMP on your WAN port. Enabling IGMP at all on the router is just odd, unless you have buggy firmware that is trying to manage you LAN traffic (which the router should never do). I have heard of a router doing this and install tomato router firmware fixed the issue. If Bonjour (a multicast DNS solution for Macs) works on you network, then this should work too.

Just to add a new data point. I set up hub mesh a month ago between a C-7 and C-5 and it has worked perfectly. Recently I tested the wireless option and it has continued to work well until I added a new device to my C-5.Yesterday. After much gnashing of teeth I finally figured out that I still had the network cable unplugged. The hub didn't like having two network connections. Once I disconnected the wired connection the mesh was happily reactivated utilizing the wireless connection

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, but I am having the same problem. Everything was working fine and then I had to reboot my router. When everything came back online the hubs could no longer see each other. I’ve tried to reboot both hubs but no luck.

I also tried to switch from UDP to TCP for mesh communication and still they do not communicate.

I’ve read through this post and nothing has worked.

Any advice?

I ended up putting my two hubs next to each other on the same switch, avoiding my Velop network altogether. Seems to have worked. Obviously not an ideal situation if you are using the two hubs to increase coverage but I'm not.

This is my exact setup. Are you using a managed switch? Which switch are you using?

Nope, just a cheap TP-Link unmanaged switch.

Apparently after about a day of waiting the two hubs decided that they were done being mad at each other. They are communicating again.

Hmmm. That sounds like it will just be trouble down the road! Did your meshed network get any sort of firmware update that might have resolved the issue?

Nope no updates.

I just added the switch and they are both plugged into the same switch. After about 12+ hours I checked and they were talking to each other again.