Hub just crashed again, twice in a week now

Hope it wasn’t one of mine! :slight_smile:

Nope, one of mine...

1 Like

Phew!

how did you come to this conclusion? did support provide some info that points to this?

They did, it could be something else, but knowing my luck...

What was the cause and was there any clue on Live logging?

No definitive root cause yet, but they say it is pointing to an ill formatted number in one of my apps. Looking forward to hearing more.

That wouldn't explain melting down your hub, unless it was doing this in a fierce loop or something. Have you looked at this app in Logs? It could be just coincidence that your app is throwing an error. Heck, I have apps throw errors all the time and it doesn't melt down my hub.

The fact that all was running good for two months and then bang, doesn't point the finger at your app. As you said originally, if that's an accurate description of the chain of events, it could be something else. It's not like you just did an update, or anything else that would have changed things. Software doesn't just all of a sudden stop working -- except for certain pernicious problems like memory leaks, stack overflows, etc, that can develop slowly over time until something gives....

Bobby from support is looking at it. I fired up my computer, and will have live logs for tonight. I’ll see if there is anything weird.

Glad that at least you got something, right now my entire zwave is frozen, I will start to sing the let it go song in a few minutes.

If i press on in the web, the status of the light change to on but the light is off, it logs the digital event but the light doesn't work, I'm tired, I will work with this tomorrow.

I was having issue like this which is why i'm in the process of replacing all my older GE switch and dimmer to the newer zwave plus version. Sometimes, my older ge switch wouldn't respond at all until I pulll the air-gap. It won't even respond to manual on/off push at the paddle. I am hoping the plus version won't suffer the same faith. I now have a mixture of GE and Inovelli zwave plus switches. I am at a point where I want to try an map the zwave network to see the routing. I have a USB zwave stick, just need to find the Zensys software and some instructions on how to do it without messing up my HE mesh. Also recently I've been having a bulb that won't respond either so that lead me to buy the Digi zigbee usb stick so I can map my zigbee network as well. Still waiting for shipping from Mouser. I wish HE have some utility to help us troubleshoot mesh related issue. Maybe map the two networks.

One of the earliest feature requests was for some type of system instrumentation or activity monitor (I happened to re-check my post and it was from way back back on Feb 9th). It would sure help an end-user to know what their 'normal' baseline CPU, I/O and storage utilization looks like (i.e., when things are running well) so that anything that starts trending away from this could raise a red flag.

Is this feature request still in the queue?

4 Likes

Yup, there sure is

So why doesn't Habitat implement the same polling methodology rather than giving everyone a 'work-around'?

Because it was and is a terrible idea. It's only purpose was to deal with switches that don't report when physically activated. Some older z-wave switches did not report due to the overhang of a patent held by Lutron (now expired). Pretty much all new Z-Wave switches report as you'd expect them too.

How many of your automations depend upon the physical activation of a switch?

I wouldn't call it a workaround. It gives you the option of having it if needed. Not difficult to setup. I don't personally own any devices that don't report, so I appreciate that I don't have the increased mesh traffic every 10 seconds like I would with ST.

After all my tests in the past hours I will say yes, it's a terrible idea, this will congestion the mesh very badly. I will try to replace the non reporting devices.

I have a lighting rule setup for each of my rooms that links my main switch with the lamps in the room. So for me it's 4ish use cases but it's the first indication that something is wrong with my hub. Under normal circumstances it triggers within a few seconds but as of late I'm noticing longer and longer delays.

So just do the polling (refresh) on those four devices.