Hub dead after power outage? C-7

There is a normal curve for failure rates and you were just unlucky in drawing the losing ticket in those terms. There are a bunch of people around here w/C4s and C5s still running strong, and from my experience your experience w/what may be (waiting on Bobby's final input) an early failure is rare...

I do get that once-burned feeling when you are unlucky enough to get bad roll of the dice, but FWIW, if your hub is in fact "Dead, Jim" ( :wink: ) your experience is not "normal" at all for these hubs. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Everyone draws a winning ticket eventually...

1 Like

Huh, I'm not sure about luck at play here. This hung during the update of my database which to me points to something else. Code has infinite possibilities when the playground includes the core a web component and apps developed externally. Almost every small electronic device I own has a hardware reset button, and it's there for a reason. But the folks at hubitat must know better than all the others. What's the point of having an emergency bootloader, if it doesn't work? We can hypothesize about what happened in this case, it certainly could be a genuine hardware failure, as those do happen during updates, but in an effort for full transparency, I'd like to see the numbers of updates initiated and then devices that never call back to the mother ship. I wonder if the folks at hubitat will publish that.

I’m still waiting for you to confirm if you found the IP of the hub in your router devices list…

Corrected - you did confirm above, sorry I missed that, I checked the posts over twice. I thought it was just the IP that it had last connected with that you were trying.

3 Likes

I believe he answered that above - here was his response below:

I can tell you that I hang out here a lot (too much) and I can't remember the last time someone posted about a hub that had gone completely south during a FW update...may have happened, but I haven't see it. So no, I don't think this is very common at all, more likely very rare.

1 Like

Over what span of time? There have been hundreds of thousands of updates initiated and you can count on one hand those that have not been able to recover from a partial update.

If you send me a private message along with your hub's MAC, I may be able to help you recover yours too.

1 Like

Thanks @bobbyD . I truly appreciate your support and the others on this thread!

1 Like

Yeah so if you search around there are a small percent of other people (I think maybe 4 total) where a recent update got stuck on that 15% database screen as well. I believe all of them still could access the diag tool and were able to recover using some instructions I cooked up with trial and error. Most of them had already tried rebooting multiple times before posting, and it would get stuck at the same spot every time. So it is very odd that yours went totally MIA after one reboot attempt.

The only new variable is that there was also an updated diagnostic tool pushed out recently.

I know that does not help solve the problem, but that's the lay of the land so to speak. Also why everyone was assuming you were doing something wrong when the diag tool did not work, that has historically been very dependable.

3 Likes