HUB configuration

I had a C-8 Pro that contained ~50 ghost devices. It had become useless. I also have a C-8 that had been reset. I reconfigured all devices for the C-8 hub. It is not running well with no ghost devices. (BTW, I have a suspicion that running the Z-Wave Repair is responsible for the problems with the C-8 Pro, but it is just a guess.

My issue. Both devices have subscriptions. I actually tried to cancel the subscription on the C-8 Pro but it is 'Pending' and won't be complete until the next billing period, which is December.

The software won't allow a full reset while the subscription is active (someone's favorite book is Catch-22). I don't know how to proceed.

My plan was to reset the C-8 Pro and treat it as a new device and move the C-8 data to the C-8 Pro.

I did clear the radio of the C-8 Pro and did a soft reset. Is this enough? What is the best way to get the C-8 data to the C-8 Pro?

Yes you can reset both radios, and then a soft reset, this is almost the same as a full reset but does not clear the registration or subscriptions.

Do a cloud backup on the C8 and then restore it on the C8 Pro (assuming you have hub protect on both at the moment).

If you have any LR devices paired, be sure to check those after migration as some people have had the nodes drop off after restoring a backup.

1 Like

Many thanks. My job for tomorrow,

Worked perfectly. Thanks.

4 Likes

Just for the future. The moment you have a failed z-wave pairing, STOP. Go to settings>>z-wave details and check for a ghost. It should be fairly easy to remove at that point. Factory reset the device in question and attempt pairing again. This will ensure a healthy z-wave mesh.

2 Likes

Will remember that. Thank you.

Also take a look at this post, look at the z-wave section. Will help with some of the gotchas

Arrgh! Before reading (Are you new to home automation or Hubitat or coming from a different platform such as SmartThings, Vera, or Wink? This may help!) I assume all devices should be included with SO security. This site says never use SO security. Currently ALL of my devices have been included with security.

"Older devices that only can pair in S0 should most definitely be paired as no security. S0 is extremely chatty and can overwhelm a z-wave mesh. The rule of thumb overall is to pair all devices without any security EXCEPT for Locks and Garage related items. "

I am not sure what 'Older' means. Most of my devices, switches and plugs, have been purchased within the last two years.

Should I really exclude all of the devices then include them without security?

"Older" here means ZW devices that cannot pair with S2 security -- 100/300/500-series devices in particular. I think even some 700-series devices may not be able to, but most (if not all) 700-series ahould be able to do S2. 800-series (latest available) definitely all can.

S0 security is notoriously chatty -- for something typically quiet (like a lock), this isn't that big of a deal, but for devices with regular/routine traffic, it can get ugly pretty quick.

S2 security is a huge improvement -- better security, better message integrity, and no adverse chattiness impact.

I pair everything I can with S2, but I would definitely avoid S0 for anything other than a case where I had absolutely NO other choice (i.e. a door lock).

No it says older devices pair as s0 and should most definitely be paired without security. Exceptions to this are locks and garage door openers as Hubitat forces them to be included with excryption.

S0 most definitely. S2 there is debate. I recommend pairing without. In the case of z-wave LR, it will pair with S2 automatically or you won't get it to pair as LR

I'm looking at you Zooz....

Zooz paired with S0 can take down a mesh if you have more than one or 2

@Milt if you have devices current paired as S2, and they're working fine you can leave them as is. Anything S0 I would re pair without security (again except for locks and garage doors) and there a few devices that in order to pair with S0 you will need a z-wave stick paired to hubitat as a secondary controller...(such as ther zooz 4-in-1 sensor)

1 Like

Apologies - I just checked the network and all are paired as S2. The logs are not voluminous if that is a reflection of traffic, although only description Text logging is enabled.

Also, all routes initiate from 01 directly to the individual device - Route column in Z-Wave Details.

S2 is fine, just leave them be.

1 Like

Done. Thank you.

as well as locks etc i have a few multisensors paired s2 as it stopped them for the most part sending bogus temp readings, most likely due to better crc in the message sending.

(ya i dont think my wine fridge was really 5711 degrees)

Have you validated the wine fridge temp? Is it C or F. :).

So it appears that door locks must be S2 to have a chance. I think that's why I like keys.

Or s0...S0 in the case of locks isn't usually an issue. All locks pair with security be it z-wave or zigbee (zigbee uses encryption by it's nature). So pretty much most locks if they are z-wave or zigbee will pair fine. For z-wave pair within 2 or 3 feet of the hub as they will likely have a whisper key exchange and need to be close. The only ones I really see having an issue are Schlage FE599's and the August Pro locks... Other than that you should be fine.