Hub C9 Pro request

Definitely does not require knowing YAML to set up. This can be done right from GUI.

Or just Tall Alexa to play “calm my dog” (yes, that’s an Amazon Music Channel) as you leave the house. Much easier than messing with yaml.

3 Likes

interesting, last time I did music stuff in home assistant was a long time ago and I used at least some yaml.

1 Like

I think we would rather spend 2 hours making an automation that does this for us than spending two seconds doing it every day :rofl:

We are a different kind of lazy

Though, it wont actually take 2 hours to make in most cases. I think the easiest in habitat is a virtual contact sensor that triggers an alexa routine to play dog songs, which should take only 5 minutes.

2 Likes

This is an in-built action to play a local media file on an audio device. In my case, it blares a euro-style ambulance alarm at max volume.

Glad I'm not sub-letting your basement. :wink:

1 Like

So I know there are options out there for the audio, I don't want Alexa (To many issues with her, she is nothing but a clock ant set timers now). I have Sonos through out my home and prefer to use that. It keeps it local so even if the internet drops the music continue to play. I also then have control over what plays and can mix it up for them.

I want to only use habitat. I do not want to integrate HA else I would have already done that. I have many rules and devices and many network required devices also that I have connected along with my camera system and network so I can automate/detect things.

The small increase from the C8 to C8 Pro is not enough for me to make the move, Hence the C9 Pro version I mentioned. And for storage, onboard, micro sd or usb, any would work, just need more storage, Prefer micro sd so if the hub crashes and does not recover I can still pull files that are on the micro sd, and would make a great place for automatic backups to be stored.

Also habitat does not support large files, so the restriction should be removed if possible. But with a micro SD I could load them on it then when inserted habitat would have access to them. For like the audio files I have. Already use the onboard for most of my audio file needs, just still have to have others elsewhere due to the size limit.

Faster Processor simple because there is a lot going on now, would be cool if they could make a dule core chip work and perform multi threads (If it does not already).

POE port, well because its a pro device and I prefer POE since I have it, and yes I know about the adapters and I am using it now, but POE would make it a lot cleaner install.

Not sure what they have planed for the future upgrades, just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

The SD card idea is possible, depending on what the hubitat staff decide.

PoE is probably not coming. Why make hubitat physicslly much larger and $15-20 more expensive for a very niche feature? A PoE to microusb adapter is the way to go.

And in my relatively large system, my C7 has no problem keeping up, so im not sure we need a faster cpu than the c8 pro. Many people think it is unnecessary, but if you are having poor performance, try setting up an automation to reboot the hub nightly. It did wonders for my hub.

In fact, I automatically reboot both my linux servers, my phone, hubitat, my openwrt router, my NAS, ans my printer every night, and I reboot my laptop every few days. The only thing free from needing reboots is my iPad.

:scream:

2 Likes

Not exactly sure what this means in this context :rofl:

+1 for that idea :slight_smile:

Must have been raised in a “Microsoft” family. :flushed:

4 Likes

Why do all your other devices need reboots?

3 Likes

They dont need them, but ive seen time and time again that a nightly reboot just fixes performance issues, and its a super low-effort task to create a nightly reboot.

Openwrt, surprisingly, is the one where reboots helped the most. Im using a 128mb ram (pretty low) ASUS router and it seems that some cache or memory leak is causing issues, as it slows to a creep and wifi has frequent dropping connections, but a nightly reboot makes it work very well.

I know a reboot is sort of a bandaid fix, but it works and if it ain't broke dont fix it.

I would say if it ain’t broke, don’t reboot it.

But to each their own :slightly_smiling_face:.

6 Likes

Do I understand you are rebooting your laptop with the Rebooter App? Can I ask how you are doing that??

Pretty sure he meant he reboots his laptop, period.

Not that he reboots his laptop with the Hubitat rebooter app, which doesn’t sound plausible (though I don’t use the app).

3 Likes

You can do a pc reboot simply using the built in scheduler and shutdown.exe

1 Like

+1

I currently store these on a Pi 3B running HA. Would be way more convenient if they were locally stored.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.