Hub (C7) has become so corrupted it wont operate - Not sure how or why

Since I'm seeing errors with things like the "Group" function (null pointer/unable to open), that seems to indicate something deeper is confused.

I'd like to know what's wrong--if it is a specific device, etc. or what?

Restoring the apps doesn't seem likely to fix all that??

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Soft_Reset

There shouldn’t be any impact, the soft reset will clear out the hub’s database but not touch the radios, giving you a clean slate. You would then restore the hub with a recent backup, which would restore all your rules and other configurations. Depending on how old your latest backup is will dictate what is restored (there should be nightly backups).

Give the wiki a read it walks through those steps and you can gauge your level of comfort.

Those sort of errors sort of point to some sort of underlying corruption at least to my uneducated eyes, but I’m definitely not an expert. If it is corruption, you are probably unlikely to ever know what exactly triggered it.

Perhaps @gopher.ny is around and able to take a peak to see if anything stands out to him...

1 Like

I suppose I'm less concerned about what is wrong--than in fixing it with the least disruption possible.

Which is why I'm hoping someone can get back to me on that.

If those errors were trapped and would provide a bit more information about what was happening when the exception occurred, it would be especially helpful. :slight_smile:

Soft reset in my experience has been totally benign. Do a backup, download that to a safe place. Do the soft reset, and restore the backup.

Just don't do a FULL reset, that is where you lose everything.

Soft reset usually only takes a couple minutes.

2 Likes

Gotcha, well my recommendation for trying to get things functional again without a disruption would be that soft reset procedure.

Try the Soft Reset. Follow the procedure.

You begin by taking a backup NOW and saving it locally to your PC.

That step 'cleanses' the DB. No corrupted data is saved.

Then you do a Soft Reset that deletes the DB in the Hub.

The reboot finishes with you having two options: Start over adding Apps and Drivers and Rules OR restore that backup you just took. You will have exactly what you had before, with no corruptions... assuming there were any.

As has been mentioned, all your devices are intact. After the reboot, you'll get the green start screen with "Restore from backup" in tiny type at the bottom..

Soft Reset should be a fearless step. In fact I've occasionally suggested that everyone try it at least once.. so when you NEED it, it's not a strange process. :slight_smile:

Screen Shot 2020-09-18 at 3.06.38 PM
I use this process several times a week when I'm doing a lot of testing. I have what I think of as a "Library" of backups that I can restore to test various configs. For example I have a backup with No HubConnect installed. So I can restore that and then install HubConnect and verify all the steps are still intact. Then I just Soft Reset again and go back to my 'today' backup or on to yet another test.

1 Like

Soft Reset. Your database is probably corrupted. Be sure you have downloaded a backup first.

1 Like

Hi there, we have replied to your ticket with further instructions to perform the Soft Reset, this morning around 10am. If you didn't receive the email, please check your spam. Let us know here or via email if Soft Reset doesn't help.

1 Like

Been busy at work--now digging into this.

Thx for the note, as the reply was spun off to the folder with the zillions of other Hubitat emails I get. :slight_smile: Ooopsy

I figure I'll take a backup--then maybe disable a couple drivers and see what happens--followed by that soft reset.

Thanks,

...Rob

1 Like

I took a backup, saved locally.

I did a "soft reset".

I selected "restore from backup" and chose my local file.

It spun for a while--then I got this:

@bobbyd @bravenel Is that expected?

I guess maybe it worked? I was just expecting a full reboot afterwards.

review this, maybe...

2 Likes

@csteele Bro-thx. With stuff being wonky, I'm a bit touchy on stuff not being quite as expected. :slight_smile:

It'll get fixed, made more palatable.. 'specially with people actively freaking out. :smiley:

1 Like

Is all okay now? Soft reset has saved my butt a few times from my own mistakes

1 Like

Well, so far, so good.

I'm walking on eggshells, tho. Have no clue what hosed it up.

No clue what got zapped when in the DB cleanup, but it does sorta seem like I'm seeing one of my new dimmers NOT referenced in places I expected it to be.

Make a backup after each new device and the rules you add for it. Then wait a bit and do the next then maybe you’ll be able to find it and it will be little lost if is acts up again.

1 Like

@bobbyD Hmmm..... It seems that I may have ended up with another serious issue.

It appears the hub isn't receiving any Z-Wave commands.

I'm having no luck getting the Hub to respond to Z-Wave initiated trigger events. It seems to be able to "send" Z-wave commands as all the devices seem to generally behave on command. Refreshes seem to at least generally work "on command" but I'm not getting rules to fire on "contact sensor changed", button tap/double tap, motion, etc.

So------------ I messed around for a bit-------------------

And. Not much clue what happened--but it seems to suddenly be more cooperative.

I did a "refresh()" action on nearly all my devices--and I did a Z-Wave "refresh" one "ghost" node. I manually ran some actions--and did a Zigbee button action. But, not sure what made the z-wave triggers suddenly come to life.

I'm always nervous about those devices that show up empty in the Z-Wave Device list with nothing but a "discover" button. I truly wish I knew what those WERE before they got ghosted.

If there is ANY way you can have some sort of "(was: xxx light)" text there, that would help me know what disappeared.

1 Like

And, after all this, it seems that the Inovelli Red Series Dimmer that I was using (with no load) to associate with another of those dimmers--but was acting wonky--suddenly started working.

Due to all these issues, I decided to do a full "repair". 7 devices failed, so I manually repaired them--and they worked that time.

It's been a really crazy day. :slight_smile:

FYI: After all that, things did seem to be mostly back in order. There were a group I didn't think I put in an action--but I sure wouldn't swear to that.

It is a good thing to have a "soft reset" under my belt. :slight_smile: