HSM, Nyckelharpa and multiple Iris V2 keypads

So here goes, pre flight check as it were. I think I have it down just asking for a sanity check.

I am setting up HSM, and about to pull the trigger on grabbing a second Iris V2 keypad as they are cheap and readily available on Ebay...

The idea here is I want a keypad by the front door, and back door. Most notably since my wife doesn't go to bed as early as I do, and I can set amred home (night) and still allow her to let the dog out / in without waking me up.

Anyway, as I understand it, I set code on each of the keypad devices, and set them BOTH up as arming / disarming devices in HSM, and THEN dive into installing / configuring Nycelharpa.

Long term goal FYI, is to have one keypad at front door, one at back, and one just inside between garage doors. Do I need to do anything special to add the inevitable third keypad?

@arnb

Nothing, other than what was done for the current keypads.

I have four working keypads: An Iris V3, two Iris V2s, and an Xfinity(Centralite)

That's great news!

Now I just need to figure out the physical wall mounts for the new to mey V2 keypads as the seller doesn't have the wall mounts...

It looks like a modified, well triangle ish, with a little bit of a dovetail. Shouldn't be too hard to reproduce something functional out of wood on my router table. Of course I could just be lazy and use peel and stick Velcro and call it done.

1 Like

I was looking at the same keypad for my patio door and came to the same conclusion. LOL

My Hampton Bay remotes are stuck to the switchplates using peel & stick velcro...

Honestly if the stuff released easier, I would just go with the Alien Tape, From my understanding kind of like Command strips you need a tab to bull on the Alien tape though... FWIW, that stuff is great for holding motion sensors to door moldings...

Oh, and I bit the bullet and hit the order for the keypads. I want to get this done like yesterday.

I started using hot glue for my sensors.

When I went ahead and repositioned my Iris V1 sensors the first time out, I made the mistake of using Amazing Goop. Take my word for it, do NOT do that...

1 Like

Update this the saga of the HSM configuraiton.

I have the 2 new to me Iris V2 keypads ordered, they should go out in the mail tomorrow. They are coming from the well known Amazon seller that seems to have lots of pull out Iris stuff.

No wall mounts though.

I have some 1" white peel & stick velcro that should work. I suould use probably 18" of the stuff for both new keypads.

Once they come in, and I get them paired and mounted, I will set the PINs, but I was wondering...

Is there a PIN manager out there that I can add that allows me to just set, or reset PINs without having to do it for each keypad?

Anyway once the keypad issue is resolved, start working on Nyckelharpa integration, and once that is done, I can set home, and night modes without worrying about my wife accidentally tripping it, and set away and allow access to my dog sitter...

@arnb

Update and a question.

The 2 new to me Iris V2 keypads came in today, and although advertised as not having the wall mounts, one of them did come with it.

So I have them configured as
Keypad
Keypad 2
Keypad 3

I have the same PINs entered in, and they are configured in HSM as arming devices. I have tested Arm Night by inputting my PIN and hitting the Partial button which results in the system going to Armed Intrusion Night mode no problem.

I then typed my PIN in and hit OFF assuming that would disarm the HSM, no joy.

Doesn't matter which keypad I use,

I don't see anything in HSM that lets me set the PIN+Off button as the disarm function, so I am still left with struggling to get my phone on my network, bringing up the app, and disarming from the app... Or dashboard.

I know about the PANIC button issue with HSM, but is this another reason I need Nyckelharpa? Am I ready to install that yet?

Sounds like you are using HSM with the Lock Code Manager app. If not please correct me. The iris V2 has an option to arm without pins and in that mode ignores an invalid pin (using my Centrallite driver, not sure about system driver), to disarm it must be a valid pin then the Off key. Assuming the keypads are defined to HSM, and you see the pin numbers in the keypad's device page, it should disarm. If not, contact Hubitat support.

Sample of my keypad's lock codes (I use Lock Code Manager with Nyckelharpa)

Not using lock code manager. Setting the PIN in the devices themselves. I am getting the impression that might be wrong?

Correction @arnb I am using Lock Code Manager now. And I have the PIN arm / disarm working for Armed Home, but not away.

What I am trying to accomplish here is...

#1. When system armed either in away mode, or night mode, no sense in arming when home, I want to enter PIN and push OFF to disarm the alarm.
#2. When I enter the PIN and push Partial I expect it to set it to Armed night.
#3. When I enter the PIN and push ON I expect it to set to Armed Away.

You talk about Nyckelharpa, I know the panic button needs either nyckelharpa to trigger, OR the alarm needs to be armed say in Armed night mode. Do I need Nyckelharpa to trigger armed Away and just perhaps set the hub to Away mode?

Good that you got disarm working.

Regarding Away not arming
Are all HSM arming states configured: Away and Stay(Home). I assume Night is configured since it's working.

Nyckelharpa uses an HSM Custom rule and either a dummy device or the keypad devices to trigger Panic. It does not require the system be armed, nor does it arm the system. Panic with HSM works only when the system is armed (afaik and last time I checked).

@arnb

I have HSM arming states / modes of Away, Home, and Night set. Home and night are similarly set although night does at least make a little noise.

I found another write up you did RE: HSM and the Iris V2 and V3 keypads. Fiddled with some settings, and now I can disarm from all modes, Away, Home, and Night from the keypad. However the keypad only seems to allow me to arm for night.

Part of my original wishlist for this function may not be doable, but here is the thought.

I want to set up a virtual switch in Alexa, but one that can only turn Away mode on, not off.

I am envisioning something that basically issues the command to set my hub to away mode, which should in turn set HSM to Armed Away, and at the same time, enable Alexa Guard to monitor for smoke detectors and glass breakage.

I do not have HSM set up to arm, or disarm upon entering any other modes, so I guess the question is...

IF it were possible to set up a virtual switch in Alexa to turn on Away mode and arm the alarm, if the mode were to change, would the alarm state?

The idea here is I don't want anyone else being able to tell Alexa to disable HSM arming. I want it either via PIN on the keypad, or from within my app on the local network.

When HSM does not arm, it's usually caused by an open contact sensor defined for the arming state, such as in my HSM setup below. HSM arms with open contacts when no alerts are coded.

Regarding your other ideas: Rule Machine is your friend (but first get this woking)

Arming failures are sent to my phone. All sensors are the same for all modes. Away arms fine from the app...

I've got it figured out and fixed. Or at least working how I want it.

Instead of "night" I have home set up with the parameters of night, and then set that to arm when night arrives. Uncheck the tick boxes for the partial buttons and then have at it.

Now when I push the partial button, Armed home comes up, when I push the ON button armed away comes on, and when I input my PIN + OFF it disarms. That is the behavior I am looking at.

I have Nickelharpa installed, the user profiles configured, and I need to figure out how to config the panic button now... Will get there...