How would you remotely administer a hub?

As a relative computer dufus, how would you remotely administer a hub, even from a laptop? Would a VPN setup be involved?

I use the VPN built into my router. As far as I know VPN is the only way right now.

4 Likes

I use Teamviewer. It's free if using for personal use and really easy to install. It works great!

4 Likes

I really like ScreenConnect

The free trial is basically a free 1 agent account. you can pin 3 machines and remote support one session at any time.

2 Likes

I really like openVPN. Easily integrated with my router and easy to use.

2 Likes

VPN, yes. also try
chrome remote desktop with 2FA, very simple

1 Like

I have OpenWRT running on my router, and use WireGuard to VPN in to the network from my cell phone or laptop. It has been working very well and WireGuard uses less resources on my router than OpenVPN.

2 Likes

Not everyone is a fan of turning over more information to the Google Borg but I stumbled across this in my efforts setting up HE a couple weeks ago and so far its worked just fine.

https://remotedesktop.google.com/home

1 Like

I use apache reverse proxy to manage my hubs.

1 Like

It's a great solution. Until they keep timing you out and state you are not using it for non-commercial activity (even tho' that's clearly not the case). So annoying. I get that they ultimately want your money. But their approach is just disengenuous in my opinion.

1 Like

Could never get it to work using an rPi. It seemed like a loop around and around and could never work out how to make it work.

The thought didn't cross my mind to try running it on a pi, and not seeing anyone that has had luck with Chrome remote specifically, but other vpn / rdp solutions have worked for people. I have several 24/7 devices on my local network already that I remotely monitor that are MS based, so remoting into one of those and accessing the LAN interface of the Hubitat has worked when I have needed a deeper dive than the dashboard or portal provides.

1 Like

I've only been timed out after being connected for hours which is never necessary to be connected that long to administer hub. I just discovered that you can run TeamViewer Host on a Raspberry Pi so I can remotely go straight to my RPi or use locally instead of VNC Viewer since all of my RPi are headless.

Yeah, I run Teamviewer on a Pi.

Trust me, they cut me off several times and I've not left the session running. I have no idea what they are thinking with this policy. Like it's going to endear them to me and I'll start paying?!? It's ridiculous.

I wouldn't mind buying a copy of TV but it's ridiculously expensive. I use wireguard and sometimes OpenVPN for tunneling. Use browser for UI's, putty to access the Pi (run headless) and Remote Desktop to get to a windows machine on my network.

2 Likes

Another option, Anydesk remote desktop, free for personnel use.

1 Like

Runs on Pi?

There you go...

Woop woop. Thanks. May give it a try if the tools at Teamviewer keep messing me around.

1 Like

A cheap Raspberry Pi Zero + PiVPN + DuckDNS (if not on static IP) makes it dead simple to get onto home network from the outside world.

1 Like