How to turn off all but some lamps when mode changes to away?

Hello!

I am trying to set up my hubitat, and have gotten in to setting modes.

I have set up automation that some lights will turn on at sunset, and that works fine. And now I wanted to make all lights turn off when I change to away mode, except a few lamps that are in the windows.. I have been trying to set this up with Simple automation rules but it doesn't work, if it is set to "turn off when mode changes," all lights go out and the one in the windows doesn't light up when mode is "away"..

There must be a fairly simple solution to this?

Hi
Checklist

1. Away mode is set and working ok?
  2. activate the debug of the rule you setup and let us see
  3. copy here the screenshot of the rule

Good morning. I am away from my hub or I could include a screenshot. However, hopefully I can help. Create your simple rule using mode change to "away" as the trigger. Select all the devices you want to control with this trigger. Then select what you want them to do "turn off".
I think that's it. There are a couple other options you could add, but for simply turning things off when you leave, that's it.
(IF you want things other than lights to be controlled you may need to use rule machine. I have done both. Simple lighting rule is much easier and very effective providing the devices you want show up in the list. This can become complicated, but there is LOTS of help here and you can do this)
If this helps great, if not let me know and I can send screenshots later today...
Good luck!

Hello,

I am switching to "away" mode manually to try this out..

I have only two lamps right now to see if I can get this to work, one Is the Livingroom-outlet and it should be on when the away mode is activated, and the evening mode should have both the livingroom outlet and livingroom bulb activated.

here are screenshot of the rules:

I am unsure what kind of logs I should post, I only see these:
dev:12021-09-16 16:47:58.978 infoLivingroom-Bulb was turned off
dev:22021-09-16 16:47:58.726 infoLivingroom-Window-outlet was turned off [digital]
app:462021-09-16 16:47:58.616 infoTurn On Livingroom-Bulb, Livingroom-Window-outlet when mode changes to Evening anti-Turn On
app:502021-09-16 16:47:58.609 infoTurn On Livingroom-Window-outlet when mode changes to Away Turn On
dev:12021-09-16 16:47:55.730 infoLivingroom-Bulb was turned on
dev:22021-09-16 16:47:55.625 infoLivingroom-Window-outlet was turned on [digital]
app:462021-09-16 16:47:55.321 infoTurn On Livingroom-Bulb, Livingroom-Window-outlet when mode changes to Evening Turn On
--- Live Log Started, waiting for events ---

I understand that it's probably the "turn off when mode changes", that kills everything.. but if that one is unchecked all lamps stay on..

I guess I could create a rule that turn all lamps off except the ones in the windows, but I didn't know if that was the best way.. because then I have to make a rule and manually select all my devices except the one in the windows...

I don't know If I am doing this the wrong way, I have tried to search for examples how other people have done their setups,

I may be skimming this too quickly, but it looks like you have competing rules here. The first should turn on the bulb and the outlet when the mode changes to evening and off with every other mode.
The second rule turns the outlet on when the mode changes to away. That contradicts the first rule.

To be sure, is there bulb and the outlet two different things? The bulb is not plugged into the outlet, right? Just checking to be sure I understand correctly.

I would have to look to be sure, I can't recall if you can select more than one mode. I think, but it's been a while. IF SO, I think one solution might be to separate the lights as you have different expectations for each. Leave the first rule as is EXCEPT remove the outlet. The second rule can be set to control the outlet turning on with away or evening mode and off with all other modes...
Just thinking without being able to look at mine...

and, Roberto has a good point, to be sure the mode app is set the way you want. Doing this manually now is great to check the rule as your building, good plan.

Yes the outlet has a regular lamp connected to it, and the bulb is in another lamp in the livingroom.

Alright, but if I uncheck the "turn off when mode changes" both lamps stays on, and I must create a specific rule that shuts the one lamp off.

Eventually I want to shut down every thing in the whole house (i've kept it to two lamps just to get started :slight_smile: ) and it seems like a lot of work if I need to add every single unit to the rule to make them turn off.

if i understand well it become away at 502021-09-16 16:47:58.609 but immediatelly after
462021-09-16 16:47:58.616 come back to Evening
So it make on and off again in 7ms

Check how Away and Evening mode are activated

I have a few different rules turning different lights and things on or off at various times and on different days. And, separately, I have one rule that turns everything off and locks the doors when the mode changes to "Away".

Thanks for the help, I made a Scene for away mode with this particular light on, so first everything switches off and then the scene starts the lamp again. So it works for now..

There's obviously a learning curve here, I am new to home automation and it almost feels overwhelming at some points when I struggle with some of the things I thought would be a walk in the park :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much for letting me know. I understand the feeling. I am glad I could be of at least some help even as you found your own solution. You will find there are many ways to address your individual needs and situations. There is more than one way to achieve the automation you want. Don't be too afraid to try different things. At least that is how I learn. That and asking for direction form this group. I think just about anything can be "fixed" or undone if you make a mistake and that helped me explore. Another huge advantage is there is a great community of very knowledgable people here that are willing and eager to help. You will usually get more than one solution and many will walk you through. Good luck my friend and enjoy your journey.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.