How To Trigger A Rule

I'm thankful to have a whole home generator. And in the couple years that I've owned it I really haven't had to use it for extended periods of time. Well, last night the power went out for a couple hours while I was at work. So, as the whole neighborhood was without power and in the dark, I was the a**hole with all of my outside yard lights and accent lights lighting up my house.

What I would like to do is figure out a way to shed unnecessary load, especially turning outside lights off. If I could figure out a way for the generator to signal my hub (currently running HE C7 Version 2.3.5.152), I could probably figure out an easy if/then rule to turn the lights off.

Any ideas?

There are several sensors that will detect vibration and i have yet to meet a home generator that didn’t shimmy and shake when it turned on. So you could use the accelerometer on something like the aeotec multi sensor to detect the vibration as a trigger to shed load. They are quite sensitive so a second device to detect that the power is out would help prevent false positives would be a good idea.

I have a Kohler generator. It comes with the ability to connect it to your home network. I have it configured in Home Assistant, then use Home Assistant Device Bridge to get it into Hubitat.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.