How to simply pause a rule for a set amount of time when a button is pushed?

I am trying to figure out how to begin setting something up to pause a rule for 5 minutes when I tap a button.

I can figure it out once I get a little push in the right direction :slight_smile: I've seen people talking about virtual switches and etc... but with such good development... maybe there is something recent that makes this easy?

I JUST did this.

This is a rule that I set up when my cleaning lady arrives. It pauses rules for 3 hours.
also, if you create a virtual switch and set it to turn off after 5 minutes [Enable auto off} set up a rule using RM4.0:

Trigger: switch on change
if switch turns on then pause rule x
else-if switch turns off resume rule x
endif

Hell, I don't know if it's the perfect way, but my cleaning lady rule works and the switch one I've not created, but tapped it out in my head. I just did a switch for wake on lan and it works for me. Good luck. Hope my ideas are of some help to you.

Thanks! So you did this in Rule Machine right?

One thing I don't understand is how can I trigger this rule with a button push... I don't see "button" as a possible trigger... I don't see any way to have a rule controlled by a button... I surely am missing something

Actually, rule manager has a button option. Or you can use the button controller app. I wrote a button push using rule manager for a push notification. It is built in as long as you have a button to push. My husband had surgery, so I wanted him to be able to let me know he needed me instead of trying to yell for me. The rule will configure it for you. I'll mess with it and see if i can come up with something that will fit your needs.

Wow- your husband is a lucky guy!!!

I don't see the button option in rule machine yet... but I will look again!!! THANKS!!

Ok I'm working this out in my head. Create a virtual switch that is set up to auto off after 5 minutes.
set up two rules. Rule 1:

Then rule 2 controls your actions:

If you want to cancel the resume you could put an else-if before the end-if and add the condtion of if switch is on then cancel delayed actions.

Something very important: if you set the switch to auto off after 5 minutes, you do not have to put a delay in your call to resume. If you want to be able to cancel the resume if you need it for longer, then i suggest auto off after 1 minute and delay it by 4 minutes. That way if you need it paused another 5 minutes, you just need to press the button again and it will reset for another 5 minutes. Just a thought.

OK I will process your post.

Also I notice that I am on rule machine 2.5... maybe that is why I dont see a button as an option... I will work on that. thanks again!!!

Wow! Have you not updated your hub? If you haven't, you should. 4.0 has better features. 2.5 no longer exists or is being improved. I can see why these great features have been invisible to you. Shout out if you need any help.

I just created a new rule and it is coming up in rule 3.0. Will update and see if I have 4.0. THANKS!

1 Like

You can do the same rule in 3.0 if you must. It's very similar. But, I didnt look for the button control in 3.0. I skipped using 3.0 and jumped from 2.5 to 4. Old dog -> new tricks. Not always good. Ha!

[EDIT] Button option is not available in 3.0 if you wanted to create it there, you would need an app like advanced button controllers. Or Button Controllers which is a built in app.

Well- couldn't sleep.

Figured out a pretty simple solution now that I have Rule Machine 4!

We'll see how it hold's up. Thanks again!!!

1 Like

I think it looks good. how's is doing. I see that you posted this late last night. Surely you had time to test?

Seemed to work last night just fine... waiting for dark to test some more :slight_smile:

That's awesome. I see the beginning of great rule. I'm sure you'll make little changes to accommodate something that popped into your head at 3am. It's a slippery slope. :wink:

Agreed... already a few things to modify... but basic functionality works fine. Thanks for the info and encouragment!!!

1 Like

Thanks for posting this. I mimicked it to fix a presence rule that unlocked our Schlage lock twice because my wife and I ride in the same car. Her iPhone and my iPhone would trigger the presence rule at separate times. Now I have the rule delay then resume after 5 minutes.

Let’s hope it works!

Anyone have a clever way to pause a rule without creating a separate rule?

No, you have to create a second rule to get the rule to unpause. Otherwise, you have to go into the UI to unpause it. A paused rule won't fire, so it can't unpause itself.

1 Like