How to setup RGBW hardware

I am in the process of picking out RGBW strips and controllers for my living room and kitchen cabinets. I'll have about 6 zones so I want to make sure I get it right the first time. I want RGB + warm white so my current pick is LEDnet RGB+WW. I will need controllers that can handle 24V at 5A and so far I found the Zooz Zen 31 or BTF Lighting Controller.

Does anyone know if either of those controllers are a good choice or are there better options?
Is there another style of RGBW strip I should consider?

1 Like

Why do you recommend this one? The reviews don't seem very good.

FWIW I've been using a Zooz Zen31 at 24Volts for about a year and a half. Have no issues to date.

I don't do a lot of "fancy" color stuff, mostly a set color that seldom changes.

I would recommend you get one set verify it works to your needs then purchase the other 5.

John

1 Like

My tool of choice is wled / nodemcu.

1 Like

I just installed a Zooz Zen31 in my motorhome. I am using 12 volts (obviously) controlling an 8 foot. RGB strip. So far, I am very happy with it. No suggestion on the light strip.

1 Like

I've seen a few recommendations for 8266 and I know it could give the best results if properly programmed. I have about a month before I'll finish remodeling my living room so maybe I'll give it a try. Is there a good learning resource you know of?

Dr zz is pretty good. To be honest there are a stack of guides for programming. The touchy part is the hubitat integration for novices/idiots such as myself.

I use webcore to control it, but I'm sure there are better ways.

1 Like

I was originally going to use "dumb" led strips but I've been looking at some videos and addressable ones might be worth doing.

I watched some DrZzs videos and it seems like the go-to software for esp8266 is WLED. I'm assuming webcore is for direct programming effects and I don't really feel like doing that.

I ordered some hardware and I'll see how it works.

Basically, you flash wled onto a esp8266 / whatever.

Note that there are a number of alternatives with advantages... For example, one of my projects uses 3 x esp8266 boards as opposed to a single xxxx_comtroller - reason being that had I realised at the time, the alternative controller was able to handle an increased number of segments.

Essentially I use one strip, mounted in a back box with "peep holes" to make it appear that I have multiple leds which change colour (or switch off/on, pulsate etc) depending on what's going on. Hence, segments. It's a box mounted on the wall to give dumb access to my smart heating - showing which rooms are currently heating, which are being boosted, which have their schedules enabled etc.

Perfect usage for programmable leds. And webcore.

Also, I have a simpler version of strip lights mounted behind shelving in the front room. I again use webcore to switch on or off depending on the % dim of my main standard ceiling light (dimmer module). They also operate as Christmas lights, with webcore being used to trigger patterns instead of the standard blue hue.

All of this is done pretty simply using a few virtual switches and triggers.

My 'cloudy' understanding of it all. Is that basically, I can have a wled module which is pretty. Simply controlled with the standard wled app, which allows for all sorts of cool colour changes, pattern effects etc. Play with it until your heart is content. But webcore allows the current settings to be set automatically to say, the Christmas effect, without needing to manually point and click a few colour wheels etc. If that makes sense.

I'm sure there's a better way, probably something broker related that's above me.

Sorry about the potentially crappy explanation.

Incidentally, I made a cloud i made for the kids, using the methods above. Rainbows, lightning etc. Quite cool. And utterly inexpensive.

1 Like

Ooh - Video, please. :smile:

I tried! Can't attach video. =(

I usually put it on one drive or something like that then share the video link as a non editable public link

i have a ZEN31 and a NodeMCU running WLED. WLED definitely gives more features, but if you just want a single color, the ZEN31 is solid. i use it with 12V and 5V strips respectively though

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jktUJbrboxwxSkknMCGgV2g3CgSb9I9q/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

I like that. I wonder if the same thing could be done with a Hue Go...

1 Like

Thats awesome i want one how much
iron man GIF

1 Like

Hah, cheers. Bonus points for using an iron man gif too, huge huge fan.

About a fiver. Maybe a touch over.

Components:
1x esp8266 (£2)
1 x 12v-5v adaptor (this could be skipped of you use an existing USB psu) (£2)
Short strip of iaLEDs ws2812b's, 5v (about 20 quid for 5m)
Some fluff from hobby craft (used about 10% of a £4 bag).

Empty plastic bottle.

Check out "diy cloud ceilings" -they blew my tiny mind, but cba with that, this was a small version.

1 Like

I got a test setup built and working. I bought SK6812 WRGB LED strips and a D1 Mini ESP8266. I bought I2C level converters but its working without them. These run at 5V and its just on a variable PSU for now.
I have WLED on the D1 Mini and its connected to Hubitat with WLED driver by joyfullhouse. I don't need "direct" control of the LEDs so in my scene control app I set them to a "preset" number which I setup in WLED itself. That lets me control them with multi-tap on my ZooZ switch so this work perfectly for my application :grinning:

2 Likes

So this was my little test

20220810_203130

So impressed with this little cloud im going for a 8M2 version, for comparison this is 0.5m2

@djh_wolf