How to replace photocell sensor with something smart?

I have some outdoor lights on a photocell sensor with no way of manually controlling them. Wiring to a new switch is nearly impossible due to the placement in the attic, it is very tough to access with the HVAC in the way.

Here is how they are wired:

I was thinking of just mounting an electrical box in the attic and running the wires into it and just using a standard zwave on/off switch that will never be manually controlled (always on) and then using another smart switch we already have that controls another set of outdoor lights, and make them sync with each other.

Thoughts?

Eliminate the photocell and replace the light with a smart bulb. You can then use button controllers, automations, etc to control the bulb. A contact sensor or motion sensor could easily be used to turn the light on and off based on someone being in the attic and off when they aren't.

1 Like

My lights outside of my garage was like this. I pulled the photocell out and replace it a zwave relay. I used a Monoprice relay but you could use something like this one.

1 Like

You could also pull a lux reading for your location from a weather App like DarkSky and replicate the photocell's function in your rules.

There are multiple lights, so that could get costly, although that might be the simplest solution.

That might be exactly what I need. Thanks

I misread and thought it was in the attic. If this is a normal outdoor motion lighting fixture, Homeseer has Zwave modules that replace the motion / photocell modules.

It is outdoor lighting that is tied to a photocell sensor that is in the attic, mounted near the attic fan.

It is always hard to imagine someone's scenario from a description on these forums. I always try to get a good mental picture of something as I think about a solution to something. That means drawing from things I have seen or my own experiences to get the picture. You had a drawing which should have been that thing that filled in those fuzzy spots.

I could not have imagined this. :wink: Thank you.