How to remove/update secondary Z-Wave PC Controller?

How do I remove the Z-Wave PC Controller after I have successfully added and used it?

I have now used the Z-Wave PC Controller several times to prune my mesh of ghost nodes but I can't figure out two things:

1. How do a trigger a full refresh of the device list from the Hubitat (primary?) controller much like it does when first joining? I can ask it to "Update" which gives me new nodes that were added but it never removes old nodes that were removed in Hubitat.

2. How do I politely make the PC Controller leave the mesh and Hubitat? I'd like to hit the red remove device on Hubitat and hit some button on the PC Controller and have it leave cleanly just like any other device where I click some button one or three times. I can force remove on Hubitat and Reset on PC controller but I'm afraid the PC controller will be left as a ghost node at that point.

Cheers,
Mattias

Good day, I don't know the answer but since we'll likely be discussing it would be great if you could let me know if you changed any settings when joining.I read a few horror stories about the stick becoming the primary controller, and I need to avoid that. I have a zooz s2 stick(zst10)
Did you change any settings before joining the stick to hubitat?

At the worst, if you shut down the stick, the hubitat should drop it after a z-wave repair and a few days, according to HE staff. Although other users have reported this functionality is not working correctly.

Did the removal of ghost nodes help with hub speed or reliability?

Thanks

Didn't happen for me.

Definitely.

with pc controller 5.xx, did you just join the stick, or did you first change settings to avoid the stick becoming primary? I don't want to re-pair my 80 z-wave devices !

This. And I removed the stick using network wide exclusion (NWE), after putting the HE in exclusion mode.

1 Like

I also used the Zooz S2 Stick with PC Controller.
It worked great and allowed me to remove many "ghost" nodes.
As @aaiyar did, I used the network wide exclusion and removed the controller.
Finally doing a zwave repair brought it all up to speed.

Did it speed up my system?
Definitely, yes. (I had 4 ghost nodes).

Furthermore, I installed a TP-Link managed switch to ensure that there was no CRC error issue in the ethernet connection to my Hubitat.

It is evident to me that an automation which takes less than 1 second at the very beginning of the day, and 8-10 seconds at the end of the day, means a serious problem. (I do a repair/reboot in the middle of the night.) As has been speculated by many, there may mean some sort of "resource leak".

I'm going to continue my research and start zniffering to make sure that it's not a mesh problem. I've got to clear that issue first before I can say "it's a resource leak" problem.

1 Like

I tried that and it didn't work. I'll try it again later today.

The longer story is that I'm sick and tired of Z-Wave message storms and I'm not sure who/what to blame. I really wish Hubitat gave us better tools to look at the low level Z-Wave log/mesh but that's another thread...

I get often 10+ messages from a single device as seen in the HE log, all within a second and all the same message such as device on or motion detected. My Z-Wave latency is bad and @bptworld 's Hub Watchdog is reporting 800-1100ms Z-Wave measurements, while ZigBee is around 200ms.

I bought a Z-Wave Toolbox and it is showing quite a few "routing error at hop X" where I'm guessing the packet took the wrong path. I wish I could use HE to see what routes are there after a heal but the Z-Wave Toolbox + PC Controller is good.

I've never had the PC Controller become the primary controller and didn't even consider that to be a risk... Time to back up the PC Controller state before messing further.

1 Like

Two questions:

I'm trying to re-flash a Zooz switch that got hosed using the Z-Wave Firmware Updater.

1. Is there a thread or link with straightforward directions about the process?

2. Is connecting the Aeotech stick required/recommended for this procedure? I don't have an issue with excluding the switch from HE first to perform the upgrade.

I think you are asking about the process to remove a ghost node.

https://community.hubitat.com/t/protection-service/47492/85?u=steve.maddigan

But in your second point you talk about removing the switch during the process so maybe you are asking about the FW update process. That process is on the Zooz support site.

https://www.support.getzooz.com/kb/article/253-how-to-perform-an-ota-firmware-update-on-zooz-devices/

1 Like

Not quite. I messed it up using Firmware Updator. Zooz had me reconnect with Level 0 Security, and I was able to reflash it. Thank you for the links, though. The more info, the better. :slight_smile:

1 Like