How to remove ghost devices?

I don’t understand. I created my SiLabs account using my personal Gmail email account (not my work email at my business), received the sign up confirmation email from SiLabs, clicked the link in the confirmation email, and I was in.

Now, that was back in July 2020, things may have changed.

Many thanks for the UZB writeup. Worked like a charm for me.

Good to know. Why don't we just fix the problem creating them instead of devising ways to remove them?

4 Likes

Depends on who you think the "we" is.

Of course it needs a proper fix. No one is arguing that.

If you know exactly where the issue is (Hubitat? SiLabs? Other?), feel free to contact them and tell them how to fix it. :slight_smile: I don't think it remains unfixed due to a lack of interest on Hubitat's part.

2 Likes

If the people experiencing this problem are only a small minority, their interest may not be that high. Perhaps new hardware or firmware will fix it? Or perhaps people can live with it?

Here's a fun one... Had a device fail (you helped on that thread earlier today)... ended up having to force remove device, then readded device... result: 1 ghost device lingering.
So, I picked up this PDF and went through, got the driver installed (quite the SH$T show that... think bitlocker, unsighned driver,etc) Got it done tho.
Got the ZWaveControllerUI working with it, and during inclusion in the HE network, it went fine from the PC/USB stick perspective,... except the HEhub never completed initializing the new device (left it for about 15min)... So Long saga short, got the original ghost removed using the USB stick even tho never completed initializing. But now I've got a ghost USB stick that doesn't snow up in devices, and in zwave details it's like this:

So here's the question: How do I delete the USB stick ghost device without another USB stick? There's no apparent option in the hub zwave util. and the controller app greys out "is failed" and "remove failed" options (for obvious reasons) when selecting the PC controller.

edit: the Not responding is due to me pulling the stick, it shows ok when powered up.... but no delete option in HE.

So the Z-stick is detected by Hubitat, and working when plugged in?

So how did you try to exclude it? When I have had to do this procedure, I did the exclude on Hubitat, AND also on the PC Controller software for the Z-stick.

1 Like

Well, thats the question, exclude is a interactive process, I started exclude on HE, but couldn't find a button to 'tap' (as one would a device) in the pc software. If there's such a process, please lmk.

After starting Exclusion in Hubitat, I go to PC Controller, and Select Learn Mode, and use Classic. Same button as for Inclusion.

1 Like

I was afraid ud say that... I've tried that initially, no luck. So do I really need to buy another zwabe usb to remove this usb?

That should have worked. It does for me on both a C5 and C7. You are doing it before de-powering the Zstick, correct?

And in PC Controller, it should "erase" the devices in the left column on the Network Management tab while doing an exclusion. Did that happen, or are the Hubitat devices showing in there still?

1 Like

The hubitat devices still are showing, so I know it didn't exclude. I'll reboot everything in the am and work the process you outline slowly and carefully... thanks for the pointers that I'm not missing something obvious.

A comical problem that could be leveraged by Big Z-wave to sell lots of USB sticks!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Yea if you aren't seeing the devices go away in PC Controller, it is still included. For now, just leave it on and running, it won't really hurt to leave it powered up, it would just be a repeater. Plug it into a USB wall plug if you have to.

1 Like

Last weekend I made a mess with my C4 to C7 update. (fortunately I don't have very many Zwave devices) and had 4 entries like that. I was able to finally remove them all by going to device page (if there is one) and force remove from the page. Then I went back to the Z wave page, with the device powered off, and hit refresh 4-5 times. Most of the time this resulted in the remove tab to show up. if not I shut down the hub, removed power for 30 sec and tried again. Took about 5-6 hours for 9 devices. (I REALLY messed up the transition) I had added an x to the id number, backed up my C4, then after the devices were paired I removed the x on one, not realizing it was in conflict with another device. I must have seen the "ERROR 500" screen 10 times. Anyway I added one device back at a time, did the single repair and refresh and finally it all came back together. Been watching the logs for a week and no residual errors.
Hopefully if your persistent it will all come together.

1 Like

Took me about 3 days at 5-6 hours each day to get my ~40 devices included. It was painful let me tell you. I had the same problems with ghosts and so on, so I don't think it is just you.

1 Like

It may not be any consolation, but it’s MUCH better now than it was when the C-7 was first introduced. Hubitat was the first hub to be certified on the 700 series chip, and Hubitat’s engineers and its customers have been hitting all the bugs in the new chip and its new protocol stack. Been there, done that. Life on the bleeding edge.

@672southmain - Thanks for posting that PDF, definitely a necessary tool to fix/maintain the C-7 at the moment. As for the 'troubles'... I think it's all to be expected. In ye' olden times I think I'd expect much more complete factory support... but then support was historically factored into the product cost, these days they rely on forums and users and shave the price,... seems fair. But, HE isn't doing itself any favors either, for instance why put a HUGE big fat tempting "Repair Z-wave" button top center of the details page if the factory says best practice on the C-7 is to NOT use that but to do per device repairs as necessary.... Might be necessary to have the option, but maybe there could be better way-finding in how the options are presented.

All good from my end tho, and for the price of products these days I think lowered expectations is appropriate. And I have to say, among all the forums I'm part of, this one is by far the most actively helpful and knowledgeable user group.

In any case - I tried again this am with a z-wave exclude and got nothing to happen in regards to removing the PC USB device. After a cold shut-down however, the same procedure did work. Maybe that info is helpful to sorting out some of these ghosts.

Thx @neonturbo for confirming the exclude process. Wonder who the keeper of the mighty PDF is and if they would consider adding a clearer "how to remove the stick steps" so that those of us that try what seems obvious, but it doesn't work, know they are poking the right buttons.

The PDF was done by @erktrek, I believe, in collaboration with @danabw. It has helped many in the community, including me, get over the hurdle of installing a C-7. I just try to pass the info along.

Right now, I suspect that Hubitat support is swamped with all the new users coming from Wink and SmartThings. I made that migration just over a year ago. It was very rough when the C-7 was introduced; it’s much better now, thanks to this community and the work of Hubitat staff.

Pay it forward as you gain more experience, help others facing a problem to which you have an answer.

2 Likes

Reverse that - the hard work was all @danabw, it's his document. I just babbled along like I usually do.. :laughing:

3 Likes

Now wait a minute... @erktrek, you were key to my getting that document done. The truth is I babbled on and on to you, and you provided key help and feedback until it was in good enough condition to share w/the wide world. Could not have done it w/out you. :smiley:

3 Likes