How to Password Protect any Individual Tile

Hi everyone. I'm a new Hub owner and have so far integrated the Hub with everything I need. However I just cannot work out how to use the Rules Engine to check a "becomes" state of a global variable/connector.
Specifically I am trying to achieve what is described in Safety Monitor and the Dashboard - #2 by jabecker

It all needs a clear write-up and I'd be happy to do a step by step howto as soon as I can set this up :grinning:

As I understand it, variables do not currently generate events. I believe this might be coming in a future version though.

For now, you could use a connector or a virtual device instead.

Hi Sebastien. Thanks but this is exactly what I have done :grinning:
The link I provided in my message explains everything apart from how you check for a 'becomes' state. All I get is a 'reports' state when I start creating the rule.
I start by creating the Global Variable (GV) in Settings. Then click on 'Create' when the variable is shown in a grid. This creates a Connector.
Are you saying I should create a connector directly?

Iā€™m not sure I understand the issue you are havingā€¦

Are you trying to create a button that will directly arm/disarm from a dashboard and bypass the ā€œoptionsā€ that typically come up when the HSM button is used?

It will help if you can describe specifically what you are trying to achieve. :slight_smile:

I am simply trying to replicate / do exactly the same as in the link I was referring to. A tile that when pressed requires a numeric code that I will use in the RE to disarm the system.

Got it! That is not something I have ever seen unfortunately. The only thing I can think of to simulate this would be to create a button that points to another dashboard which would contain the numeric code.

The numeric code would be a set of buttons linked to Rule Machine that would be looking for a specific sequence to send a command to HSM.

Would that be something that you would want to try?

Hi, @martinkendall I was the one who originally did what is described in that thread. And provided the initial instructions on how to do this, @BrianP improved on my original rule and made it even better. Unfortunately, the instructions on how to do this are kinda convoluted over several different threads and even convoluted within a specific thread. Over the years I have had several members need help with this and I always promise myself, I will start a new thread with easy to follow instructions. If you can wait, I will make the new thread tonight, and send you the link.

2 Likes

Hi @martinkendall here is a guide: Guide on How to Create a Password Protected Tile

3 Likes

Thank you for taking time to do this.

I will follow the instructions and report back here.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.