How to migrate from a Genie Aladdin WiFi garage to local control easily

Iā€™d been using a Genie Aladdin WiFi garage for the past few years but a recent update on Genieā€™s side made me want to shift to local control. It was way easier than I thought so I put together the steps I followed in case it helps any of you out. Some of the diagrams I was finding made it seem complicated, but itā€™s as easy as plugging in a USB charger cable and swapping 2 wires from the Genie WiFi to a Zooz relay.

This walkthrough is intended for folks that want to migrate from the Genie Aladdin WiFi adapter to z-wave local control. Apologies if this isnā€™t the right place to post this. This info was in a few different threads so I was hoping to consolidate this to make it easy for future folks.

If you have only 1 or 2 Genie garage doors with an Aladdin WiFi adapter, this migration should take you about 20-30 minutes. Do this at your own risk, etc etc.

First, youā€™ll need the following:

Steps:

1. Unplug your garage power
  2. Unplug your existing Genie WiFi adapter from power.
  3. Unplug the white cables that connect the Genie WiFi adapter to your garage door - just remove these from the WiFi adapter, leave the other end plugged in to your garage door opener, we will reuse these with the Zooz Zen 17.
  4. Plug your USB charge plug wherever you had your Genie WiFi plugged in.
  5. Connect the included USB cable into the Zooz and follow the pairing instructions.
  6. Hubitat has a built in driver which will get selected.
  7. In the Hubitat driver for the relay change ā€˜input relay 1ā€™ to ā€˜garage doorā€™ and ā€˜input trigger for relay 1ā€™ to ā€˜enabledā€™
  8. Pair your Zooz ZSE43 tilt sensor. It had a built in Hubitat driver.
  9. In the Hubitat driver for the sensor, I set mine to LED Indicator: tilt sensor. Shock Sensitivity: low. Enabled sensors: tilt sensorā€™
  10. Take the two left-over wires from your old Genie WiFi adapter and insert them into R1 ā€˜NOā€™ and R1 ā€˜Cā€™ (I put the black striped wired into ā€˜Cā€™) (refer to this diagram: ignore everything other then Switch 1 How to Use the ZEN17 Universal Relay as a Garage Door Opener - Zooz Support Center )
  11. Plug your power for your door back in.
  12. You can now test your door by going to the child device and click ā€˜onā€™. Your door should open/close respectively. The switch auto toggles off after a few seconds.
  13. Adhere the tilt sensor to your garage door
  14. Install this set of apps/driver: [RELEASE] Zooz Garage Door Opener itā€™s very easy to use to set up a garage door that links your Zen 17 with the tilt sensor.
  15. The Garage Door device that gets created from the community driver is what you want to use with dashboards, rules, etc.
  16. (Optional) set up the Dome alarm to give an alert a few seconds before opening and closing just like your old Genie WiFi door had. Iā€™m waiting for shipment of my siren so I canā€™t comment on this bit just yet.

Because weā€™re repurposing the original wires from the Genie WiFi install, this was a lot easier than I expected.