How to make sensor poll more frequently?

i got this sensor

it polls illuminance every hour. That is too less. How can I make it poll more frequently? eg every 30 mins?

or maybe even better, setup a rule that increases the polling after 4 pm.

Search HPM for Aeotec and install the Multisensor 6 driver with enhanced options. You can set reporting thresholds (like report every 10lux, etc)

3 Likes

what is HPM for aeotec?

I do have multisensor 6 driver installed.
https://imgur.com/a/wUTcUeL

I have set it to 10 lux intervals.

But the poll is still every 1 hour. See below.
https://imgur.com/a/fQsJtyo

Aeotec mentioned i need to set parameter 43 to change polling.
http://manuals-backend.z-wave.info/make.php?lang=en&sku=AEOEZW100&cert=ZC10-16065113

where in hubitat do i change parameters?

HPM is Hubitat Package Manager.
It is an app designed to help you find device drivers and apps and also keep them up-to-date when new versions get posted. I would highly recommend you look into it. It will make things so much easier.

Once you install HPM, you can do a search for custom drivers. When you type Aeotec, you will find at least 2 custom drivers that support many more features than the stock Hubitat driver does.

I use the driver by CSteele. I have mine set to update any time the value has changed by 50lux from the previous value. With this driver, the valued updates anytime there is a change greater than the value you have entered in the field. I have mine set to force an update every 6 hours, but it also updates for any change in lux greater than 50lux, or any change in humidity of 1 or more.

After you install the device in HPM, then go to devices, find your Aeotec Multisensor device, near the bottom of the page you'll see a field that says "Device Type". This is where you change your driver. Scroll down towards the bottom and you'll get to the User drivers. Fine the Aeotec MultiSensor 6 device you just installed in the user section. After you do, click Save Device. Then, immediately click "initialize" on the top of the device page while at the same time pressing the Action Button behind the battery cover of the MultiSensor. This will initialize the new driver. Otherwise you will have to wait for it to report back in before any changes you make will take effect. Once you switch to the newer driver, your settings page should look like the following:

1 Like

wow that looks great. I will definitely look into it.

I should have HPM appear in apps like below.

but i dont see it. Means I have to add it as custom driver?

Yes, after you install the package, go to new user app and install it onto Hubitat. It will appear in the regular apps list just like Dashboards, Rule Machine, etc.

Once you see it there, just launch it. click install and from there you can search for any apps or drivers you feel. If you install device drivers, they automatically appear in the list of devices. If you install an app, it will appear in the list of "user apps" but you will still have to manually "install" it after you download it from HPM.

Here are the steps to install a user app. How to Install Custom Apps | Hubitat Documentation

You will also need the HPM import URL from Github, found in the linked thread below The thread below also includes a video that may help.

1 Like

When the sensor is run off power rather than by internal battery it will poll more often. I can’t remember any more details sorry. But I do run them both powered and via battery and they report at vastly different intervals.

1 Like

I installed HPM and installed the csteele driver.

https://imgur.com/a/YpkOTHO

" I have mine set to update any time the value has changed by 50lux from the previous value. With this driver, the valued updates anytime there is a change greater than the value you have entered in the field. I have mine set to force an update every 6 hours, but it also updates for any change in lux greater than 50lux, or any change in humidity of 1 or more."

1. So that means your sensor will continously check if lux has changed? for it to know that more than 50 lux change has occured.

2. so you Sensors Report Interval? is 6 hours. and Luminance Change Amount (LUX)? to 50 lux. Is that a OR condition? so 6 hours later a force refresh will occur. OR if the luminance has exceed 50 lux change?

Click this link and join the owners group. Hub owners - Hubitat

That way you can post your images within the thread instead of linking to imgur.

1 Like

Yes, it's either/or. So in my case, 6 hours is the forced refresh time, and (in my case at least) any change of greater than 50lux will force a report.

For example, if I left the sensor in a closed box, the illuminance value would never change, so it will just report every 6 hours. However, if I go and point a flashlight at the sensor, the change is greater than 50lux so it will report that change immediately.

2 Likes

but the fact that the sensor constantly monitors lux change within itself, would drain alot of battery?

Here is my settings

how come my device still polls every 1 hour?

Since this is a battery powered device, the changes you set on the device page do not take effect until the next time the device wakes up to check in, usually once every 24 hours. Sometimes pressing the button on the back of the device after changing settings and hitting "configure" button on the device page will force the device to wake up and check in with the hub for new settings, but it doesn't always work.

Now that's all I know for sure. However, some of the Zooz "Advanced" ZWave drivers support the ability to actually modify parameters manually via command on the device page. I have considered trying to load up a Zooz switch driver with this functionality to see if I can manually update a specific parameter with a specific value and when a given device driver does not support a known function. In theory, you could then switch back to a proper proper driver and since it didn't modify that parameter before, the setting should stick. Maybe worth a try...