How to get support

I’ve been a SmartThings user for many years and recently changed over to Hubitat.

Been running about a month and every 24-36 hours to hub freezes requiring a power cycle. I don’t see errors and haven’t done much but set up a few devices and a couple simple rules.

How does one get support for purchased hardware without having to discuss my details in public?

Thanks

Also, update to platform 2.3.7
Then after that is done, go to Settings > Reboot and check the "Rebuild Database" option.

This should resolve a potential memory issue from 2.3.6, not every hub was effected but it sounds like possibly that was your issue.

4 Likes

Appreciate the info. My hub was on 237 139, but I went ahead and went to 145. I'll see if it crashes again tomorrow.

The warranty link appears to be for replacement, I don't believe that's warranted yet. Unless you're suggesting my best way out is to return it and go elsewhere?

Again I ask, where do I go to get support from the company I purchased the hardware from?

Thanks!

Most troubleshooting is provided here in the forum, often by other experienced users, and sometimes by staff. That works pretty well most of the time.

They maintain web contact forms for warranty claims, issues with subscriptions, or account problems.

What kinds of details are you concerned about discussing in public? Occasionally, when staff actually do need private info, they’ll ask for a user to send to them in a private message.

5 Likes

I mean, you could file a claim and wait (up to) a day or so for support, or you could see if the community could help you in the meantime. Trying a couple things the community asks you to do might solve the issue, or perform some steps support would have you do anyway. Both will save some time and effort for all involved.

I don't think you are going to be revealing any State Secrets with the few things we would ask to see, or ask you to do. For example, one thing you could do is tell us if there are any errors in the logs, or what steps you may have done to mitigate this yourself, if any.

Another would be to to tell us which hub you have (C5, C7, C8) and if this is a new or recurring issue, and maybe pinpoint when it may have started. For example, did you update firmware and it started acting weird? Was there a power outage?

You also can private message with support if you need to do something like give them your hub ID.

4 Likes

The form I linked to above, they obviously do not just send out a replacement hub on a whim, they try to solve the problem first. So that is exactly what you asked for.

Otherwise use the forums, that is your two options.

6 Likes

I understand, I'm not trying to cause a stink. I'm a very open source minded guy. But also as a security minded guy I prefer that the planet does not know what's running on my network. I don't want to be a target when you have a security flaw one day, I'd be an indexed target until you push patches if someone is interested in being on my network. I'd just prefer not to be in that situation is all. If the planet doesn't need to know I'm not in the habit of telling them.

Everyone has flaws over time, I don't mean to insult anyone's code. The key is just to be prepared, cause it's gonna happen.

I do appreciate everyone's help. If my problem isn't solved by the rebuild I'll go through the warranty form.

Thanks all!

1 Like

Do you have Jumbo frames running on your network at all? When it locks up can you get to yourhubip:8081 ?

Your data is your data @jonkman, if you want to keep it private that's completely understandable, particularly if you watch / read the news at all.... And I at least don't take any offense for you wanting to keep details to a minimum for that reason...

HE staff are all reasonable people, if you engage in good faith they will be more than happy to help wherever they can. Hopefully you can move past this issue and continue to enjoy the platform soon.

Good point and speaking of which, there is a bunch of self-help stuff in this post @jonkman if you have not already checked it out.

3 Likes

You need to promote your own good work... We really need to implement some AI... "You appear to be having a device connection issue, have you tried these troubleshooting steps....".