How to: Flash SonOff USB Dongle to be a Zigbee Repeater/Router & Set Transmit Power

Bingo!!! That did the trick!
Holding down the Reset Button while inserting.... wow!

Thanks again!!!!

Question:
Am I going to have to do that again if I move this repeater?
(i.e. take it out of power, and put it in again?)

1 Like

no

2 Likes

I've restored this link to the previous FW to the PDF until we have more feedback on the new FW.

2 Likes

Were you able to update? Or did you chicken out (or do the smart thing, whatever).

1 Like

Absolutely!! :wink: I did not boldly go.

I am actually thinking about getting two more of the dongles, but getting the newer "E" version which has Thread support built-in. Might be good to have that in the future if Matter/Thread starts to matter more to me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Don't know if it's sorted yet, but Z2M was having issues with the new "E" version, not sure if its the firmware or a Z2M issue.So not sure how it will behave in HE.
Wonder if anyone has tried DongleE yet in HE...

Yes, since I wasn't sure how things were going with the E version, I ended up boarding two more of the P versions. They should be arriving soon and I will flash one of them with the new P firmware when it arrives and see what happens.

@Ken_Fraleigh questioned my manhood by calling me chicken so I felt had to take up his challenge. :wink::person_fencing:

2 Likes

SiLabs, the ones who delivered the Z-wave 700 series fiasco, also make the EFR32MG for zigbee. Maybe the same QA folks ??

1 Like

Oh no, I think I wasn't fully aware of that.

Okay well I'll see you in 2 years... :wink::scream:

That same module (MG210P) is in Home Assistant Yellow. Don't worry - it works fine. And I don't think there's any issue any more with the Dongle-E being used as a coordinator with z2m.

3 Likes

Probably good to wait. Several other people have complained of the same error when trying to install the new firmware.

2 Likes

My understanding is that resolutely trying to do things that are known to be unsuccessful is a sign of genius. If so, I'm like a triple-genius. :wink:

Thanks for the heads-up, issue has been reported by several users on the github. I'll wait till they work things out. No rush, the current FW is working perfectly for me...this thing LOVES to repeat:

2 Likes

I know. I’m one of those users on the github :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

Ken: In a moment of weakness (and after reading some comments on the github) I flashed the new FW on one of my new dongles and it looked like it installed w/out issue - no errors reported. Is there a way to check the FW version on the dongle from the pi I have it connected to, or check the FW version once I have it paired w/my hub? I'm using cc2538-bsl to flash.

Can't tell if it worked or not...but it looks the same as when I successfully flashed the previous FW version.

Can you read it using cc2538-bsl.py and report what the output is?

cc2538-bsl.py -p /dev/ttyUSB0 -r

Thanks...I get a command not found error...running this from the cc2538-bsl directory:

Maybe precede it with ./ ?

Thanks. New error! :wink:

OK - Out of my league. I did find this, though.

Give it an output filename - like "test.hex".

Then compare (cksum) the hex file with the firmware you wrote to the stick with "test.hex". I think they should be identical.

cc2538-bsl.py -r -p /dev/ttyUSB0 test.hex

Sorry - typing on phone. Almost game time!

1 Like