How to: Flash SonOff USB Dongle to be a Zigbee Repeater/Router & Set Transmit Power

I don't remember seeing that before. I do think I remember that when items shared by mesh go offline they get a strike-through. But this doesn't appear to be that situation.

What appears when you click on the question marks?

Have you power cycled them?

Have you tried the new Zigbee Map app to see if they are repeating?

Which dongle did you buy? The P or E version and which firmware?
I have both but I have the non official router firmware for the P version and it does check in for status. The E version I upgrade to the latest Sonoff official router firmware but it doesn't report status. Yet they are both repeating devices fine.
As @danabw said, try the new zigbee map.
I don't have them on Hubitat. Just my observation with Zigbee2mqtt.

1 Like

@aaiyar and @Tony - do either of you know what would cause the strike-through on the Zigbee Details screen for the two dongles?

I would assume that it means that the device isn’t responding, has changed its address, or has been deleted from the table. I use the Ooh la labs Zigbee Repeater driver modified by @kkossev with a rule setup to notify me if one of mine goes offline.

1 Like

I'm not sure that I've seen that driver. Do you have a GitHub location for it?

Not sure about the @kkossev repeater driver but I have this one bookmarked that does Health Status reporting.

Health Status
This driver implements the normal Health Status capability with a configurable timeout period.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I have been using that one some of my SonOffs.

1 Like

I'm still using the Markus version on some, so looking at the forks, this must be the driver mentioned above. raw link

Zigbee - Generic Repeater (with healthStatus)

3 Likes

You can find it in your friendly neighborhood Hubitat Package Manager.

1 Like

Strange; my stick had been showing a strike-through for a while (it wasn't plugged in, however). Just went to look at the details page and it's no longer showing that (it's still not plugged in; hub had been rebooted since I last noticed it though).

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

One of my Sonoff dongles got into an odd state, I discovered it because of this discussion. I went to look at each of my Sonoff dongles to see what driver I was using with them. Turns out I was still using just the basic IKEA driver with one of them. So I updated to the Zigbee monitor driver, but then noticed no data was filling in on the device page when I followed the particular steps to get that driver up and configured.

Did a quick power cycle, and things work normally again. So I had lost one of my Sonoff repeaters for not sure how long. Never experienced an issue like this before, not sure if something just didn't connect back up after a reboot, or if a series of really quick power outages restores a month or so back left the dongle in a disconnected state.

1 Like

i use this driver and this rule to keep me updated.. none drop off.

i tried the monitor driver.. too much going on and not as reliable for me..

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kkossev/hubitat-Markus-Li-fork/release/drivers/expanded/zigbee-generic-repeater-expanded.groovy

2 Likes

Link to driver code doesnt seem to work @kahn-hubitat

This is what I get when I go to his (Kkossev's) GitHub.

1 Like

Works for me too. You just need to copy/paste the url into the import box after clicking "new driver" and hit save. Driver works well.

1 Like

I'd recommend the Zigbee Monitor Driver...available in HPM:

1 Like

Definitely P. I’m using the Ikea TRADFRI Signal Repeater driver. I flashed from Windows using the instructions in the OP. Not sure the firmware version. Doesn’t show in the device details screen.

I tried the zigbee map*. One shows up as a repeater (but not repeating anything); the other doesn’t show up at all. I also noticed that there is nothing in the log when I invoke either command. Suspicious. Tempted to reset and repair as they are doing zero repeating for my zigbee mesh. Will try to power cycle first.

The question marks, when you hover, says: “the device had no activity since last radio reset”.

• Is the new zigbee app different from the map available from Settings/Zigbee Details in the hub UI?

Ken, do you mean you use this driver instead of the IKEA driver recommended in the OP? Will probably give that a try, if so.

Thanks everyone for the input. I’m going to power cycle and try the new drivers to see what I can learn. Will share what I learn in the next few days.

BTW, the strikethroughs, at least for me, only show up in zigbee details. The device details page didn’t show any such weirdness. FWIW

1 Like

I'd suggest that you use the Zigbee monitor drivers cuz they'll show you directly in the driver what the device is repeating etc.

As I had said, I had one that was not repeating anything, and a power cycle restored it to normal operation. Hopefully yours will be easy as well.

1 Like