How to control a wifi outlet when triggered using Inovelli switch button

Hi,
New to Home Automation and Hubitat as of last month. I bought some Inovelli red dimmer switches and wanted to leverage the small corner buttons on them to turn on/off some Meross wifi outlets. The outlets support IFTTT, Smarthings (don't have a ST hub), Google Assistant, and Amazon Alexa. Is there a way to set it up through IFTTT so that when the button is pressed on the Inovelli switch, it controls the wifi outlet? I found that there is an IFTTT Hubitat app, but I don't think it gives me control on the actual config button for the switch. If there is a better way to do this until I finally buy some Zwave/Zigbee outlets, please let me know.
Thanks

I don't believe that the configuration button is exposed to Hubitat when pressed. You can tell if you press it then go to the edit device page on hubitat and go the events listing. If you don't see a device event, then there is nothing that can be done to use that button anywhere else. If you do see an event for that button, make note of what the event details are. You will set up a rule in Rule Machine using those button events.

Then you can control a virtual switch in Hubitat based on that button pressed, expose that virtual switch to IFTTT and use that to control the real outlet. But like i said, i don't think that button is going to work for you.

Since you have the Red Series, you will indeed get an event on Hubitat from (a single tap of) the config button. With Inovelli's own driver, I think it's button 7 pushed (with my custom driver, I know it's button 11 pushed). The tricky thing is that Hubitat's IFTTT channel doesn't let you use button events directly, so you'll need Ryan's virtual-switch workaround described above (or really anything that is exposed to IFTTT, but a virtual switch usually makes the most sense for situations like this). Feel free to ask if you run into issues there.

You'll likely have a much better experience with a Zigbee or Z-Wave outlet (so I'm glad to see you plan to pursue that option!), but until that day comes, this should give you something. If you have GH or Alexa, you could also use a similar workaround there instead of with IFTTT (also with a virtual device as an intermediary, though at least with Alexa I know you'd need a contact or motion sensor instead of a switch, which cannot trigger Alexa routines). A few options, none stellar, but all probably workable. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

A single tap doesn't also have some type of configuration setting within the firmware of the dimmer also?

No, to enter configuration mode, you need to hold the config button down for 10-15 seconds and then execute a series of additional taps to specify the parameter and value.

I just looked it up...i thought it was one tap to remove notifications, it's actually two. So, you must only get a single tap from the config button and not the 3x like you can from the paddle itself.

Yes, the config button only supports a single tap (on the Red Series; I don't think it does anything at all besides configuration, as above, on the Black Series) as an action that generates an event. Additionally, the paddles actually support up to 5x taps in each direction (plus events for hold and release).

I set up a virtual switch and linked it to a rule, then used it in IFTTT to trigger the outlet. Works well for now and without too much delay. Thanks!

1 Like