How to add required expression to existing rule?

I dont see a way

@bravenel

The 'Use Predicate Rule' switch at the top. It was renamed to 'Required Expression' in a later version of Rule Machine. I guess that it's a Rule 5.1 instance that you're editing?

Rule Machine also now has Conditional Triggers (which is like a required expression that can be individual to the trigger, rather than globally affecting the entire rule)

3 Likes

Not.true
. A predicate is not the same as a required expression and is only evaluated after the trigger fires whereas a required expression needs to be true before a trigger fires which would cut down on the rule firing. Look at the difference when i tried your.approach vs recreating the rule from scratch. This is a problem the interface needs to let you add a required exoression after the rule.is created.

Am I missing something?

@bravenel

Also this is the.latest rule.machine. let me try adding another instabce and see if itnis any different. This is not rule machine legacy.

Why don't you just recreate this rule in 5.1 if you want a Required Expression?

1 Like

Must have been a bug or old rule..
How can i tell as all others i looked at or new ones have the option to add a required expression not predicate rule and i belive some of those were older

Weird

I did.. juat assumed all rules in rule machine wiy
The latest interface were 5.1... it used to have the version after the rule.. is there any way to get that back?

This is not true. A "predicate rule" and "required expression" are the same except for the name. The name was changed, perhaps to be less confusing, at some point during Rule 5.1. As usual, Rule app changes were not backported to Rule 5.0.

What it sounds like you might mean is the new "conditional triggers" feature. Those are indeed evaluated after the trigger event. (But this is also not what is shown above.)

For what you need, it seems there's no reason you couldn't do it in either version.

4 Likes