How things communicate

hi,
trying to figure out how this stuff works. Does zigbee use 2.4 ghz wi-fi? If so, why can’t i see them in my wi-fi network scanner?

thanks in advance

Zigbee uses the same spectrum as 2.4GHz Wi-Fi but is an entirely different protocol. Thus they interfere with one another and don’t communicate.

2 Likes

okay. Does each device act as a repeater?

Mains powered zigbee/zwave devices will normally retransmit any zigbee/zwave frame received that isn’t intended for the device itself.

1 Like

This might help.

7 Likes

That gave me some understanding. Also explains why the Hubitat hub being centrally located also helped.

1 Like

These are super helpful as well...

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Zigbee_Mesh

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=How_to_Build_a_Solid_Z-Wave_Mesh

1 Like

Unless it is a brand-new device, Z-Wave devices must be excluded from their previous hub before they can join a new hub.

So does this mean if you give me a switch, and you do not exclude it from your hub, it cannot be joined to my hub? If yes how does the my hub know the switch you gave me from your house in Washington State, wasn’t excluded?

Any zwave controller can be used to exclude a device. Even the handheld ones. And it doesn’t have to be the controller they were paired to.

granted but how would my hub know it wasn’t excluded?

Your hub would not. And therefore, the recommended procedure to pair a z-wave device is to first exclude it (using your hub), and then pair it to your hub.

In addition to ensuring the device is excluded, as @csteele points out, this has a second advantage. A failed inclusion can create a ghost, but a failed exclusion will not. Therefore, if a device is excluded successfully at a given location, it is extremely likely to include successfully at the same location.

3 Likes

Just remember that these devices are Mesh devices. They work within the Mesh they have joined/paired. This means Z-devices in your neighbor's home will NOT include/exclude/repeat in your home.

There are probably tricky edge cases... You might be able to keep your Controller in Exclude mode day and night and when your neighbor turns on or off a GE device, it would be excluded... Fun huh? Most other devices have too complicated an include/exclude "dance" to make this a cool party trick. Which is why they have such a complicated "dance" :smiley:

1 Like