How many ex Vera owners are here?

It’s just clunky compared to a simple app like delaylight for Vera.

I forgot about cloning, that will make it easier.

I'm EX all the flavors of VERA. Been on Hubitat a while now, nothing too fancy with my automation. Lights, thermostats, water leak detection. Wife came to me the other day, no water. Looked at my dashboard and sure enough, kitchen sink cold water hose was leaking. That was comforting.
Just ordered the new Hubitat, like to keep up with technology.

1 Like

There's a few custom Apps that do this, recently discussed over at

1 Like

Cheers, I’ll take a look.

Cheers, Auto-Off is exactly what I needed. :slight_smile:

For anyone here stil using their Vera's for HVAC control (due to Google being dicks with the Nest API's), I wrote a guide on how to slave your Vera to your Hubitat House Modes.

This allows you do do all presence detection and House Mode logic on Hubitat and your Vera will just sync with your Hubitat. You can then continue to run all of your HVAC logic on the Vera.

I started using Hubitat a few days ago and I will retire my Vera Plus in the next week or so. I have used Vera for about 4 years and it has been a journey.

For the first three years I used Vera and the embedded LUA language to run my system. 73 Hue lights across 2 hubs, 7 ceiling fans, 15 ceiling motion/temp/humidity sensors, two door locks, 6 window blinds and a Channels-DVR. There are 12 Wallmotes that control all of the lights and fans. I have 8 ZRC-90 controllers that can control everything. Harmony Hub integration controls the TV's/Shields.

About a year ago (or shortly after the company was acquired) it was clear that I would need to be moving on. There are so many pain points with Vera I can't list them here. So, I decided to drop LUA and I created my own API separate from the "box" to reduce the pain when I make the change. Most of the capabilities I built in the API required a back end database, and that was a great help compared to LUA and no state management.

My goal was more "automated home" vs "home automation". I didn't want to have to press buttons or "do things" to control the home, but rather, I wanted the home to run by itself. Pressing a button was to allow for the "exception". The API and database allowed me to accomplish that.

The pandemic has provided more free time than I ever believed possible so I researched Vera alternatives and I ordered the Hubitat to give it a run.

Overall it's a great piece of tech. Using the rules engine I have all of the API endpoints accounted for and the capabilities are up and running. I seem to prefer to dive in and screw up as my method of learning, so it's been an interesting few days (and three soft-resets). Today I started building out the dashboards and connecting the Wallmotes and ZRC-90 controllers. Getting all of that setup often felt like an endless loop of stuff, but I'm learning? The guy that does the Hubitat videos is someone I want to have a beer with.

Can't wait to understand more and extend what I've already developed to see where this goes. Now that I have some understanding, I'll start posting questions and then one day maybe answer some questions.

4 Likes

Hi All.
I'm still waiting for my HE to arrive in the mail. Seems like I have had a very similar experience. I was a Vera 1 beta user, then Vera 2, then Vera Plus. All three are sitting on my bonepile now. Moved to ST when the Gen2 first introduced, was quite happy until recent.
Looking forward to learn what you all are already enjoying!

2 Likes

Here's my newly promoted Vera Edge (HVAC Controller) with my Hubitat C7 - the plus has been boxed up.

2 Likes

Big day for me, after getting my Zen Zigbee Thermostats and installing them yesterday, today I decommissioned my Vera Edge - Our house officially all in on Hubitat! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Did you ever get it to work. Just bought one used, quite cheap. But same shituation as you :slight_smile:

No i did not. It's collecting dust on my shelf for now :frowning:

Another ex-Vera user here too. My old Vera Secure and RFXtrx433E where shiped away to it’s new owner about a week ago. My reason for switching was that I got tired of Ezlos promises of new firmware for the old Vera controllers, a promise which in reality never seemed to become nothing more than empty promises.

1 Like

I still have my Edge as I havent gotten round to putting it on FleaBay, I ran the Linux Beta for a while (it was my secondary controller) but it was basically useless unless turning lights on/off with your phone is something ppl want to do. :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Yeah, Ex-Vera user here... About 4 months now. Not missing the stagnant and incomplete products.

Happy to be here. Although still working to replicate a few features that I had implemented with the Vera.

4 Likes

After maybe 4 months (C7 release) I'm not looking back on the HA front, even with C7 z-wave teething problems. The difference in ease of actually automating things is night and day.

I might consider reviving my Vera Plus, simply to take the feed from my one outdoor camera, as I certainly don't want to bother running blueiris or something for that (and don't really want any more cameras than that - feels a bit too dystopian).

1 Like

Such as? Give us some examples and I'm sure we can come up with a way to accomplish it.

Just wanted to give my thoughts after moving to Hubitat from a Vera Lite, a couple of months ago.

I had decided to move away from Vera as I didn't care for the direction or tone of the new company. I was absolutely dreading moving my home automation system. However, the experience of moving from one platform to another has been MUCH easier than I thought it would be. Based on some feedback within these Forums, I decided to just pull the plug on my Vera system and then rebuilt everything (about 40 devices and integration with my wired alarm system) on HE over several weeks. Duplicating everything I had set up in Vera (PLEG, etc.) was remarkably simple and easy in HE. The few issues and solutions weren't always obvious to me, but with Search and help from the HE Community, I was able to solve every problem within hours.

As for the HE hub and software. It has been rock solid. I have incorporated several software updates without issue or drama. It just works.

As for the HE community. It is so much better than the Vera community. Friendly. Supportive. Knowledgeable. The people actually respond in language that can be understood and help you solve the problem. With Vera, the answers I would receive were often more technical/confusing than the original problem.

Would I make the move from Vera to Hubitat, again? Knowing what I do now, I would have made the move much sooner.

8 Likes

Hello, first post, 5 year Vera vet here. I came home this past weekend to a bricked VeraLlite, not sure what caused it but it won't let me reconnect via LAN port even after factory reset.
Anywho, Ive decided to purchase the Hubitat.
Rebuilding from scratch will be a chore but I will contribute to this forum as much as possible.

1 Like

I also have tried several solutions in my past...
Started with powerline devices as my first. Then I was on VeraLite for a while which was pretty good. Added RTI for improved interface and control. Of course you cant be in this without giving ST a try and I had that only for a couple years. Then on to HE which I have now. I have added Lutron Caseta to the HE because it is by far rock solid with control. I am no longer using RTI but have been thinking about bringing it back for the nice screen layouts vs the dashboard. I am sure it could be duplicated to some degree if I learned CSS but screens are really simple in RTI to setup.

I am happy with HE. It has been easy to grow and add different devices and the community is very helpful with any issues.

2 Likes