How many ex Vera owners are here?

I’m not an ex-Vera owner at the moment, but I am constantly sizing up the competition :sunglasses:🥸

Likewise, I hope to become an EX-Vera user (after 12 years, mind you!) as soon as possible. All the faster, if possible, judging by the erratic, rude and unapologetically arrogant behavior of certain company owners over at the outfit that acquired Vera. Certain things in life are not to be rewarded.

When my Vera dies - and I have two in reserve, so... - I'm definitely going with HE. All the way!

Mind my asking which camera(s) you are using with Vera? Curious because I've never once in all these years - despite numerous attempts at introducing video or JPEG snapshots into my workflow - gotten a single camera to interoperate with my Vera Plus.

(3) VistaCam 1101 (1) VistaCam 1200 and (1) VistaCam 1100. Was using them with Vera Plus but wanted to see what new Ezlo would provide and it doesn’t. Running blue iris now

Well one more, finally after a long time, I bought my Hubitat and start the process of working with 2 hubs, with the final goal of staying only with Hubitat.

First perception Hubitat is much more professional, lighter, more technical, and thus more difficult for beginners. Vera has the Dashboard and Devices part more visually elaborated, it is easier and faster to see things, something that Hubitat has to build but gives much more potential for creation. Hubitat's manuals and documents are infinitely better. In summary, the more technical features in my opinion, far outweigh the visual point of Vera.

One bad immediately impact I have, is in Vera I use the variable x_vera_device.failed or zwave_device.failed to detection of devices with problems, I don't see this variable for Hubitat devices, how to know the device is in a failure state? I see that Vera devices have many more variables than Hubitat devices, a lot of trash but some important.

Well, only 3 days with the new toy, however I think I'm doing a good exchange. My first device to change was an AEOTE motion sensor that has S2 and with Vera never worked perfect, always had problems, with Hubitat in the first synchronization already worked. I hope to follow this with the more than 100 devices to migrate, among them thermostats Honeywell Wi-Fi.

2 Likes

How does anything know? :smiley: This isn't a standard feature offered by most devices--and being unfamiliar with Vera (aside from a brief one-week experiment before eventually moving to Hubitat), I'm not even sure exactly what this means. My best guess is Zigbee or Z-Wave devices that have "fallen off" your network. In most cases, there's no good way to know aside from guessing based on things you think should have happened, like the Wake Up Interval in the case of Z-Wave. In all cases, "hasn't had activity within x hours" is probably the best you can do. (This is what I think SmartThings does and what Home Assistant's ZHA component seems to do, not always accurately--both built in to those platforms/integrations).

Hubitat doesn't have anything like this built-in, but if that's what you're looking for, it's easy to set something up yourself. The most popular option is probably the community Device Watchdog app. I also wrote one called Device Activity Check that I use for myself. You can find both here on the forum or with Hubitat Package Manager (another popular community app) if you're using that.

And if that's not it, it's probably still possible...somehow...most things are. :smiley:

2 Likes

All of us will be here eventually, at the rate ezlo-Vera's ship is sinking with that madman at the helm.

Made the switch to Hubitat this past weekend - omg, like night and day!! Accomplished in 48 hours what took me two agonizing years (not exaggerating) with Vera - and NEVER with ezlo.

Me, former Vera Plus, Vera Edge, Atom V2 and ezlo Plus... All like new and for sale!

5 Likes

Any progress integrating the VistaCams with Hubitat? Noticed their entire camera lineup is suddenly on sale for Black Friday, though I have zero intention of ever giving ezlo money.

2 Likes

I had a Vera 2 and a Vera 3. The Vera 3 was okay, but I wanted to take advantage of the new fangled Z-Wave Plus that was coming to market. I was also not happy with the direction of the company at the time, with it pushing a combo controller/security gateway. I went to Smart Things V2, until I sold that house in May. Left that with the buyer, along with a couple of built in switches. I'm now using the C7 and I'm amazed at the capabilities. I was considering going to HA on a Pi but I figured I would have enough on my plate with the new house without a major learning curve. I would classify the migration to Hubitat as a minor learning curve, coming from Smart Things, but I also will only have about 50 devices total when I am done.

3 Likes

No updates on my end. Yesterday I noticed on Ezlo website 'submit a device for our 90 day guarantee to integrate'. I submitted their own VistaCam 1101 for them to work on!

3 Likes

I'd take your Vera Controllers for reasonable price

1 Like

I sold mine on eBay and bought a second C7. :sunglasses:

Goodness, I still have my VeraPlus (and for that matter VeraLite) in my "recycle these electronics one day" box!

2 Likes

It looks like Ezlo/Vera got their Tasmota plugin working last November. It would be nice if these old controllers could be used through HubConnect. They’ll work the cheap $10-15 wifi switches. Hubitat has no plans for native integration at this time. (Maybe in the future)

1 Like

HubConnect? I'm not sure I understand. HubConnect is a means of mirroring devices on one hub to another hub. If a device is integrated into Hubitat, built-in or community, that device can be mirrored to another Hubitat (or SmartThings) hub. I can take LAN devices, such as a Honeywell WiFi Thermostat and mirror its Attributes and Commands to other hubs. Same with Lifx Color bulbs. I run the integration on one hub, discover Lifx bulbs, then mirror them to a different hub.

HubConnect works on Events, and not so much the devices that create those events. Devices have attributes and as they change, an Event occurs. That Event is passed hub to hub and injected into its event processing queue.

I'm pretty sure I don't see how Tasmota is excluded from HubConnect.

1 Like

I think @mcmenemy wants Vera controllers to be supported as a HubConnect peer. To control Vera-paired devices with Hubitat.

3 Likes

My terminology may be wrong. I was using a Smartthings hub through HubConnect and it worked perfectly. Eventually I managed to migrate everything to my Hubitat controller but now that Hubatat does not plan to support WiFi switches running locally on Tasmota anytime in the foreseeable future, I was hoping to integrate my old vera or ezlo hub through HubConnect. They support Tasmota wifi devices with a nifty plug-in.

I don’t why you keep claiming this. Hubitat has never indicated any such decision. There is an unsupported community tasmota integration; there is nothing stopping you from reviving it or writing your own integration.

5 Likes

“There aren't at the moment.“ according to mike maxwell on the tasmota thread. I've edited my wording above to clearify.

And how do you interpret that to mean "decided not to support tasmota? Also, as has been abundantly pointed out to you, there are plenty of options open to anyone seeking to use Tasmota devices with Hubitat.

1 Like