How is that not a commercial hub?

I'm a fan of Home Assistant for their ability to connect devices that are not yet compatible with Hubitat and bring them into HE for automation with Rule Machine. Much prefer how I can easily create really complex Rule Machine automations, vs tearing my hair out trying to automate with YAML :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It's also really cool that they can act as a HomeKit controller with the HomeKit Accessory Protocol and distribute under the non-commercial license because they're not a hub right?

Wait a minute... :thinking:

With Zigbee and the software installable through their integration channel, not a community hosted channel, is the new Home Assistant Yellow not a hub? Integrated Zigbee, and the software pre-installed. Smells like a commercial hub to me.

1. License and Permitted Uses . Subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement, Apple grants you a limited, revocable, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, non-transferable, personal license, under Apple’s intellectual property rights in the Specification, to use the Specification for informational purposes solely to create HomeKit-enabled hardware accessories that communicate with Apple products using the HomeKit Accessory Protocol, for your own personal, non-commercial use and enjoyment (and not for distribution or sale). Any other use of the Specification is strictly prohibited.

Your use.

You have to use it for personal enjoyment. You cannot resell etc.

Not a Lawyer, don't play one on TV.. just an Opinion :smiley:

So then Hubitat should be able to do the same thing right? Very little software comes already installed on HE hubs. Seems like this should give Hubitat the green light to include the non-commercial HomeKit Accessory Protocol in their list of installable apps if they just don't distribute hubs with it already installed.

That's not my interpretation. I'd say that's one of the prohibited paths because they would be distributing it with the package that has a for profit element. Same caveats... You're asking about the FREE part of the license.. obviously that means there's a non-Free side too. :slight_smile:

My only qualification is that I have sat in various rooms where there were lawyers hanging about.

2 Likes

Just postulating. I have the bad habit of cutting off my nose to spite my face. :crazy_face:
Really, I've long wanted Hubitat to include something like HomeKit Controller for more device options, but I doubt they would agree with that path.

I don't actually want it to be revoked from Home Assistant, because I use Home Assistant together with Hubitat. Although I'm not currently using HomeKit Controller with it right now, I might want to at some point in the near future. Not really sure until I start rebuilding my smart home in my new house.