How is Hubitat planning to stay relevant long term?

Thanks, I really appreciate good ideas that are brought forward. I certainly don't have any sort of monopoly on them, even if I am an opinionated SOB. Most of the recent major features in RM came from users, and I'm grateful for the improvements. Same holds true for Room Lights.

I just wish I'd do better at not coming across as a mean jerk, because I'm not one, at least most of the time. :zipper_mouth_face:

25 Likes

Tone can be really, really hard to convey in text, I certainly struggle with it.

5 Likes

Oh FU, Derek. You're great. :wink:

6 Likes

Humm, I donnnnooo about that. There's an awe full lot of folk in this community that spends pretty close to that ballpark when they go shopping on Ubiquiti's website. And while keeping uptime on your home network, wifi, internet, and network security is critical ...I can see folks feel exactly the same about their home automation once they commit to it.

Maybe the "yet to climb aboard" customer of the home automation market hasn't seen the hub they'd feel comfortable enough building a solution on....and relying upon it. Control4 is way at the other end of the offering spectrum so never mind that.

All due respect to the HE platform...but I think we all can come up with the short list of things that likely thwart a less technical population of potential buyers. Behold Homey looks to have prioritized exactly those kind of things, as flashy as that might seem.

I agree $400 is too much...but if they come on strong with a solution that checks all the boxes for the average Joe in the FIRST 10 minutes of looking at multi-media about it...I'd think they'd pay twice what HE charges (assuming the user didn't have to buy another model in 3 years for whatever reason). The remaining hub market for the kind of user HE aligns with....is A LOT smaller than what's out there waiting for intelligent & easy button simple solutions.

Speaking of staying relevant long term:

It's awesome what a bit of marketing does. We've been short in that department for a long time, but watch where we go next...

17 Likes

I wonder...majority of friends I talk to about HA that aren't too familiar but maybe are interested, are focused on how they can get voice control over devices. That's their key top of mind "automation" desire, along w/security which I tell them HE is not purpose built for.

When we talk price and they hear ~$140 for an HE hub, and then $20 to $35 (and more) per device for things like switches/dimmers and bulbs, along w/the need to change out switches and dimmers if they want the best experience (e.g., avoiding folks using existing dumb switches to turn of smart bulbs), etc., I see a lot of drop off in interest. Costs more than they expected and the "hassle" factor is higher. In that context, starting near $400 just for the hub does not seem like a price-point that is going to hit much of the mass market who are currently uninvolved. More bleeding off from other platforms...

3 Likes

Smartly.

3 Likes

I certainly agree with @danabw .
In talking with clients, the most common thing that is requested is voice notification & voice control. (Maybe mostly voice control).
Also, most upscale clients have alexa/google home/homepods already. (Also, a lot have Sonos stuff, but that's without a microphone).

1 Like

:rofl: love you too mate. :vulcan_salute:

4 Likes

here someone made a tutorial how to have drag and drop

1 Like

Totally agree overall.

Hubitat user for 1-2 weeks never had any experience with home automation.

strong:
Had a great onboarding with hubitat + youtube videos very helpful.
Very well documentation!

mid rating
Basic rule engine is ok but not "wife/noob friendly"

improvements needed
Forum to not be able to use the browser search is a turn off e.g. in posts like this

Dashboard looks just like from an old android version / early 2010s and need some stae of the art look.

Overall UX could be improved to appeal to younger and non IT people :wink:

1 Like

You can. If you used Ctrl+F or Cmd+F to bring it up in the first place, just do it again to use browser search instead:

Screenshot of search feature

(But note that the page only loads content as needed, so you may very well need regular forum search first to find what you really want.)

6 Likes

Just stumbled upon this YouTube video discussing the future of Home Assistant. Thought some of the discussion points were applicable to Hubitat. The guy's point about Home Assistant making the right market survivable steps in The Move to Matter (as a small player) is relevant.

I'm left with some greater appreciation of the dilemma to compete in the Mass Market Easy-Button-Simple (for Beginners) Hub vs being the best Easy-but-Deeply-Configurable/Flexible Hub for those that want to dig in and do more.

3 Likes

I wouldn't be worried for the future of the likes of Hubitat and Home Assistant. No matter how many developers the SAGA (Samsung, Amazon, Google, Apple) brings on board, they will be busy making their platforms work for their company's main goal. Whether that means to drive more customers to their store, search engine, or to buy appliances and phones, they will always be a step behind the developers who are solely working on making the best home automation platform work for everyone.

14 Likes

How is Hubitat planning to stay relevant long term?

I really think we're missing the obvious answer...

Hair gel!

It worked for Elvis (mostly). :wink:

This resonates w/me...focus on the HA and not on other stuff makes a difference. Plus HE gets a ton of leverage from community developers who are very loyal to HE due to its open stance. Plus I'm here. :smiley:

6 Likes

It will elevate your hair...? :wink:

4 Likes

Or, you could stay home…

1 Like

You know is coming, but if you thought just a few years ago that telling a voice assistant to "turn the lights off", only to be greeted with "I don't know that" was annoying, then prepare yourself for many more years of hearing that same phrase every time you'll be trying to set up a voice automation. "Sorry, my lock code isn't set up yet, please go to your controller and set up the code, first." :slight_smile:

7 Likes

34 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion about Other Solutions