How do you make dimmers Ramp Up?

HE has a number of Rules/Actions to control a Dimmer's Fade/Ramp Down. What is the accepted way to control its Ramp Up? "Fade dimmer over time" would do the job, but I can't make it work.

Can you describe what you're trying to do (and in response to what and over what time period)? There are indeed a few different ways to do this, but which is best will depend on exactly what you want.

I don't want to be jolted awake in the morning. A lamp that increases Level over a few minutes after being Triggered at a set time will do the job.

In that case, Face Dimmer Over Time does sound like it should work, or you can try a "Set Level" with the specified transition time (in seconds) -- might be too high for some devices, but you can test.

If something isn't working, I'd suggest sharing a screenshot or description of you entire rule (or whatever app) to get the best help.

Also on top of what he said, what device is it exactly? Some of the new Zooz devices will directly accept a very large dimming duration (using my driver) which would work better than the "Fade Over Time" method which sends multiple z-wave commands to the device over time.

I think some of the GE/Jasco will also take the longer dim time and the community driver for those was updated to use my code to get that working for those as well.

1 Like

Yes, "Fade dimmer over time" does the best job. I tried it with Eaton Series 95 & 96 Dimmers and they all work well. The problem I'm having is not the dimmer, it's the Action. When I run "Fade dimmer over time" it does the job and then hangs. None of the following Actions are ever executed. You can see this yourself. Follow it with an Action to turn the dimmer OFF, then Run Actions. The dimmer never turns off. Is there a trick or is it a Bug?

Enable all logging for the rule and see what is provided in "Logs" (filtered to just this rule or possibly the rule and device) around the time of the failure. I suggest sharing them here.

This does work as described for me, but keep in mind that if you write an "Off" action immediately after a "Fade dimmer over time" action, the off will be executed right away, but "Fade dimmer over time" will continue executing its fade in the background over time -- effectively turning the device back on in whatever interval these steps are scheduled in. You probably want a delay before your "Off" if off is the desired end result.

I'd also suggest seeing if just passing a transition time parameter to the "Set Level" command (an option on the "Set dimmer" action in Rule Machine too) does what you want -- that's generally a "native" device feature and will both work more smoothly and avoid the above app-based scheduling/simulation required with the alternative above.

1 Like

If I insert a Time Delay everything works as advertised. The Set Level action controls the Fade/Ramp Down. How can I use it to control Ramp Up? Is there any downloadable Help for "Fade dimmer over time"?

There is Rule Machine documentation, but most actions that have a clear command analogue like this one are do not have explicit documentation.

"Set Level" will ramp from the current level up or down to the specified level with whatever specified transition time (or some default if not specified, depending on the device and driver). If this is not happening, either the device was above or below the specified level instead of the other way around like you may have been expecting (this should be apparent from the device itself, but looking at "level" on the device detail page may also help), or there is something odd about this command on this particular device (though the described asymmetry is nothing I've ever seen on an actual device, and that would not be my first guess).

1 Like