How do we "know" HE won't go the way of the Wink?

Does life 360 use HE servers?

1 Like

Curl just calls URLs... what would that serve to accomplish? Whatever URLs HE does have (like MakerAPI endpoints) you can certainly call via curl running on any PC

1 Like

There isn't really anything you could do from Linux. Hmm, stop the platform, reboot...

Everything doable can be done through the web ui.

1 Like

I use curl to send email through my SMTP server over SSL. Right now it goes through a telnet connection to my NAS, and my NAS performs the curl command.

So you're saying you want HE to execute a curl command to something on the outside? I know you said you haven't played with groovy yet, but that'll be like 4 lines of code. Setup a schedule() - basically a cron, and call httpGet or httpPost or whatever method you need. And if you don't want to do code, RM can be used to create a rule to call an http endpoint.

1 Like

In addition what @dman2306 has suggested, there is already an app for that, written by @erktrek

2 Likes

Email? Yuck. It isn't 1995. :wink:

4 Likes

Yeah I saw that, but don't have sendmail running, and I can use curl. I planned to look through that code and get it to connect to my SMTP server (not local) over SSL, but haven't had the energy ever since my telnet hack worked.

I like getting my notifications by SMS (okay, so I'm old!). And there's still email2sms gateways running .....

2 Likes

Emails could be treated as weekly reports.

I know, I was being a bit of a smart arse.

I will say, though, FOR ME if it doesn't come as an SMS or pushed notification then I'm never going to look at it.

3 Likes

Can you give me an example (like paste the curl) of what you're doing? I feel like RM can do exactly what you want all through a UI, no coding.

2 Likes

Yup. Same here.

2 Likes

Yes--I'll put it right here in a sec.

Here's the section that sends the curl command via telnet:

def emlRcpts = emlTo.split(', *') //support multiple comma-delimited recipients
String mailRcpts = ''
emlRcpts.each {
	mailRcpts = mailRcpts + "--mail-rcpt '${it}' "
}
def sndCommand = "echo 'To: ${emlTo}\nSubject: ${emlSubject}\nFrom: ${emlFrom}\nContent-Type: text/plain;\n${state.EmailBody}' | curl --url 'smtps://${emlServer}:${emlPort}' --ssl-reqd --mail-from '${emlFrom}' ${mailRcpts}--upload-file '-' --user '${emlUsername}:${emlPassword}'"//WARNING: username and password on command line! >:(

hubCmd = sendHubCommand(new hubitat.device.HubAction(sndCommand, hubitat.device.Protocol.TELNET))
log.info("Notification sent to ${emlTo}: ${state.EmailBody}")

The actual curl command is like:

echo 'To: email1@to.com,email2@to.com
Subject: Subject
Content-Type: text/plain;
This is the email body' | curl --url 'smtps://mail.server.com:465' --ssl-reqd --mail-from 'email@from.com' --mail-rcpt 'email1@to.com' --mail-rcpt 'email2@to.com' --upload-file '-' --user 'username:password'

Life360 the platform does not. But the integration with HE presumably goes through the hubitat cloud as @ogiewon explained above:

1 Like

Off topic, but I wonder how Home Assistant does it... It has Life360 integration, too, and I don't think it has cloud endpoints (?). Or maybe it does, I've never really thought about it, I just know it works (Life360 integration in HA - not HA in general :laughing:) .

If there were a way to get cloud integrations that could (securely) communicate directly with the hub that'd be pretty cool. Then we really wouldn't have to care if Hubitat went belly up :speak_no_evil:.

1 Like

Thank you Bruce. Well said.

So does Node-RED. I'm guessing its through some kind of polling ......

1 Like

HA polls the Life360 server. Many HA plugins are really just polling under the covers:

3 Likes