How Do Light Groups Work?

Awesome! I was just looking for that (color temp spefically). Any ETA on that feature?
Just got my Hubitat recently and I tried one group of lights and while it's better than with ST, the lights don't all turn on/off and dim at the same time, which is annoying. Is there not some kind of group feature at the protocol level (ZigBee in this case) to send a command to all devices in the group at once, instead of what looks like sending to each device one by one?

Yes there is such a feature in Zigbee. We plan to incorporate that into Groups, although probably not in the next release.

3 Likes

Eagerly waiting for that zigbee groupcast enhancement, as I currently get popcorn on/off behavior with my 4 zigbee bulbs connected directly to the HE hub. Sounds like that should fix it.

Yay no more popcorn effect!!! Haha. Looking forward to this as well.

Awesome...that is exactly what I need..I mix dimmers and bulbs with color and bulbs that are white/dimming. So I cannot wait when you have that finished! Much appreciated!

RGB, RGBW and Color Temperature bulbs are now supported for Groups in the new release: Hub Update 1.1.2

3 Likes

I just got and setup my Hubitat. While some things are great I find a lot to be even less intuitive than SmartThings. For instance, I want to turn on/off a group of lights. How does one do this? Create a virtual switch and add it to the group? OR create a virtual switch outside of the group, and tell it to control the group? If the second one is correct, how do you do that? ( might require another app install but I can not see one that makes sense ).

Once I get past this part, I will be then asking... how can I change the color of all of the lights in this group.

Thanks,
B

Use the Groups and Scenes built-in app. When a group is created, it's created as a Group Bulb Dimmer that supports color (even if you only have non color bulbs). The Group Bulb Dimmer supports on/off commands as well. So, you can use it in dimmer based actions AND/OR switch based actions.

1 Like

Wow, I went back and viewed the group ( dimmer created ), and now it shows all the options. This same group showed none of these options on creation or even minutes later. Is there a delay in the setup? After I created the group, messed with it, and could not get it to work correctly, I left the interface. Did some research, and then posted my comment here. After your reply I went back in to see what I was missing, and the UI is completely different for the group now.

1 Like

I just re-booted the hub, and created another group, now the dimmer(s) show right away. So maybe just a hiccup with the hub at the time.

1 Like

There shouldn't be any delay, however, there are times when HE does slow down a bit; Usually when creating a device in an app. When this happens, you'll see a spinning circle in the top right corner while it's working on whatever it's doing. Usually it goes quick, but sometimes not. That's when I stand up and get more coffee. LOL

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. it now seems to be working, and the color change is working on all the lights in the group. So YAY. :slight_smile:

thanks again.

1 Like

Woot! Awesome!

Just as a warning, once you start messing with it more, know that there is a bug that when you rename a group or a scene in the app, the underlying device does not get renamed. I reported it to support and I believe it's getting fixed in the 2.0.7 release. But, don't quote me on that. :wink:

1 Like

Your symptoms made me think: Careful to NOT skip clicking Done.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

good to know! thanks

1 Like

possibly. it was a whiskey night!

1 Like

Clicking the final Done causes Rules to be evaluated. It still surprises me when I do that and the thing I was debugging springs to life. Palm to forehead moment. :slight_smile:

St. Patty's day isn't for 3 more days. My whiskey is waiting for me. :wink: LOL

I know it's been a while for this topic, but I'm wondering if @cdallum or others solved the reporting of status at a group level? Similar to the OP's premise, back in those dark 'n lonely days of ST, I had created a set of DIY group devices using webcore, both to control groups of devices, but also to report on a dashboard whether ANY devices in the group were ON versus whether ALL devices were OFF. This was huge for WAF -- she could eyeball the dashboard quickly, and make sure each zone in the house was off without looking at every individual device.

So...I was just re-creating these groups in HE using the "Groups and Scenes",app. I then used RM4 to update the group device based on the state of the individual devices that belong to the group. Of course that effort was in vane because it creates a sorta infinite loop. Stupid for not seeing the folly in that approach to begin with.

Which leaves me with this use-case quandary: how to create a group device that controls all the devices in the group (duh, that's the easy part with this app), but also reports on the status of the group in dashboards. Is there another way to get this done?

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Given the design of device groups, I haven't done any more research on the ability to update the status of the group based on the change of an individual device.