How do I Control Bathroom Fan On Time With Double/Triple Tap of GE/Jasco Switch?

I've only used Simple Automation Rules so far, so please bear with me.

I'm thinking I will let the bathroom fan run a default of 5 minutes after the door opens. This can be done with SA switch rule, something like, turn off fan after x minutes.

However, if I want to do a double tap for 10 minutes or a triple tap for 15 minutes while heading out the door, a button option is required. The button option in SA does not have a timer function available.

Do I have to now delve into Rules Machine? I was hoping to postpone that, lol.

If your switch supports multiple presses then you should be able to use Simple Automations...just select it as a button in the app, enter the button number and number of taps/held, etc.

Thanks. The problem is setting the different times with a button, but I think I figured it out. Create a virtual switch for each button used and have a rule for each one that keeps the actual switch on for varying amounts of time.

Now the question is how many shut off times. The switch can handle 6 buttons. I'm gravitating toward 5, 10 and 15 minutes with single double and triple taps in the up direction.

Thanks for clarifying...I don't use SA very much so when you said above I assumed that SA supported a timer to turn off switches...looked at SA and doesn't appear to support that. :slight_smile:

If it's just you using it you can go to town...if it's family members (if they are anything like mine) they will only remember and actually use buttons if it's very easy/simple. :wink: If I was doing this for my family I'd set a single tap to the most commonly desired fan time, and double and triple for alternatives (which likely mostly/only I would use).

1 Like

Here is my version:

Trigger "button 2 released" is the bottom paddle held then released. I use double tap for a few things but I find the release trigger easier to consistently trigger where the double tap is all about how quickly you do it. I'm using a device driver from GitHub - Botched1/Hubitat: Hubitat Apps and Drivers for my GE switch the default driver may be different. I capture the state of the rule so that if I release trigger the rule while active it cancels the scheduled turn off.

Ignore the Pause/Resume Rules actions for they are related to interaction with other rules related to humidity sensor turning on the fan.

FWIW, @velvetfoot, coincidentally there is a new commmunity bathroom fan automation app, just released today. It may or may not support what you need, but you could consider asking the developer if they can add a feature or two if it's close to what you want. Could be a nice clean solution for you.

1 Like

Thanks. I think it'll be a little while longer before I dip my toe in the humidity pool.

1 Like

That's where ALL the fun is. :slight_smile: