How do I connect devices that use an App or another hub?

Hi-
I am a bit confused:
Some devices (a generic blind control and a generic IR device) are zigbee devices but also need to connect to an iPhone App (at least, that is what it seems...).

The instructions say to connect iPhone to my wifi with a 2.4 ghz connection (easy, with Eero). Then, I am supposed to place the device in pairing mode (easy, again - a long press on the device button starts the LED blinking).

But, now what? The devices in question use a Tuya App. The phone is not able to connect to the device (the phone does not have Zigbee). Adding a new device by clicking "pair zigbee" on the Hubitat works (Hubitat does not recognize what the device is, but I can always change the driver, if I know which one to pick).

Am I misunderstanding something? How does the device and Hubitat interact with the phone (it is my understanding that the iPhone app will allow me to adjust some settings for the device). Perhaps I am somehow supposed to have another Hub of some kind?

Thanks

With a Zigbee (or Z-WavE) device, the device can only be paired to one "hub" at a time. In some cases, there is an integration available -- e.g., Hue Bulbs are Zigbee but can be paired to the Hue Bridge, then integrated into Hubitat using the built-in Hue Bridge Integration app, which communicates with the bridge over your LAN (so not really Zigbee at that point as far as the hub is concerned). I haven't heard of any similar integration for a Tuya hub/app, though it may be theoretically possible to create one. The first post I found on the subject with a search was my own, so not particularly helpful for me to learn more, but you might be able to find more: State of Tuya / Smartlife Wi-Fi Integration

But, some of those Zigbee devices may be able to be paired directly to Hubitat with no need for the Tuya app, etc. However, as you know, you do need a driver. Anything "officially" compatible is on this list: List of Compatible Devices - Hubitat Documentation (which also notes what built-in driver they should work with). There are a few Tuya devices there, but I'm not sure about any of yours. There may be community drivers--just search the forum for your model number, etc., or provide more information here and someone may know. If the device uses non-standard or non-conventional Zigbee, it may not be easy or possible to create a driver, though I know there are some for more devices, so there is some hope.

2 Likes

Search the forum for the Tuya device type. It is possible there is a community driver to connect it directly if it's ZigBee. If no luck post a link to the listing where you bought it.

1 Like