How do I change hub's IP to static?

How do I change hub's IP to static?

You can try changing it in your home network router.

Welcome to the Hubitat Community!

In other words, that is not available and will not be made available. If you do a search there have been requests, complaints and explanations given for why they will not be changing that restriction.

Reserving the IP address in your router is the only option. All of us do it, and it doesn't cause any problems to not be able to assign static. If everything else on your network uses static IPs, some routers will allow you to reserve the DHCP range that includes those static IPs and still give them access to the WAN. Alternatively, reserve IPs for everything that you currently have static IPs set for, and change the devices to use DHCP instead of static IP assignments. Be sure to reserve the IP address for all devices that the hub needs to communicate with.

4 Likes

A reminder...

All of the devices that connect to a Hub will need statics too. If you have or get a Hue, Lutron or Google Home, or Echo, for example, they will work best with a static address. You will enter static addresses into the Integration's and if DHCP allows those devices to use another address, then obviously the Integration's going to fail.

4 Likes

The Hue bridge is actually pretty forgiving about being strictly on DHCP. I've had mine (as an experiment) change IP about 4 times and the HE hub kept track of it every time.

Thanks.... :slight_smile: I'll add that anecdotally the next time I see the question :smiley: As I think about it, Google Home might be on that list as well.. Chromecast (beta (shoulda been alpha)) integration has the 'finder' (discovery) too.

2 Likes

True. But, I still assign them static IPs as they used to be finicky and it became a habit. Sonos devices are also pretty well off on DHCP as well.

I need one of you with the silkier tongue than me to say "Learn how to set reservations in your router because you're going to be doing it more than once, especially as the addiction kicks in."

More devices, more visits to DHCP reservations. :smiley:

I'll then parrot that silky answer the next time I see the question :smiley:

3 Likes

What router do you have? I can give you some general guidelines, but I have a Linksys router so yours might be a little different. The principles are the same though.

You will need to log into your router as administrator. I am hoping you already know how to do that since you would have needed to do so to change the default password. I hope you did that to make your network more secure.

In the router, you should be able to find some item that shows you DHCP settings. It may have a button for DHCP reservations. If you find that, you can either select an address that is in the list and reserve it for the device currently connected or enter an address along with the MAC address manually to reserve a specific IP address for a device. Once you do that, reboot the device in question and it should pick up the reserved IP address. I do this with several devices in my house. One is a printer that I want to keep the same IP address. Two others are my Iris V1 Indoor Cameras that I am currently using with the Linux Motion application. The Hubitat gets a reserved address and my desktop computer gets one since I have a web server and need it to be at the same address all the time in order for it to work and show the pictures remotely on this and the R-Pod Owner's Forum. The Roku box gets one also.

On the Linksys, log in. Navigate to the "Connectivity" page (icon that looks like a pair of gears).
On that page, look for the "Local Network" tab. Go to that tab.
On that tab, look for the "DHCP Reservations" button. Select that.
In the pop-up dialog, find the device for which you wish to reserve an address. Select it. Hit the "Add DHCP Reservation" button. If you want to set a different address, use the "Manually add DHCP Reservation button to add the specific address you want. Make sure it is in the range of DCHP addresses you set for the router. In other words, if you have DHCP set for a starting address of 192.168.1.50 and set it for 51 users, then you need to have the address in that range 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100. You are reserving addresses in that range.

Once you do that and apply your changes, you should have the addresses reserved in your router for the Hubitat and other devices for which you reserve addresses.

I hope this is sufficient to help you find out how to do this with your router. Hopefully, you can refer to the manual or, lacking that, going on to the manufacturer web site and downloading the proper instructions for your router.

2 Likes

Wow.. I can understand the argument that DHCP is recommended, but I dont see any argument for not giving the option for static. This whole ecosystem is all about people who are not necessarily the mainstream end users, and there could be any number of reasons I may want to use a static address. I know how to set a reservation, and have fixed it for myself, but I think this is just stupid not to give the option... sorry.. end of rant.. just kinda surprised..

You will find that the community lives on both sides of the fence and the grass is always green...and by that I mean โ€œthis feature is to complex and will confuse all of the non technical usersโ€ while at the same time constantly explain that the user base is so advanced we should be able to circumvent some other need by setting up some other price of hardware, installing open source software and connecting to some cloud service that some guy put up on GitHub..

For these type of thing I suggest you find the official Hubitat stance, and then see if you can actually find a issue with their logic.

1 Like