How can you turn on Effects from Rule Machine on Zooz Zen 31 RGBW

I have the Zooz RGBW dimmer and with momentary switches wired to it and the default settings I can toggle on/off each color (1 tap), dim up or down (press and Hold, alternates between up and down with each hold). What I cannot figure out how to do is turn them on with effects. I can go into Devices and enter a value under Set Effect and it activates this feature. I would love to be able to do this by double clicking any of inputs or through Rule Machine.

Has anyone figure this out?

You can control in it Rules using the "Run Custom Action" command. Set a trigger for the button you want to use (like the Zen31's buttons or a remote). Then when it is triggered have it run the action (it is a sub action of the "Set Mode, Variables or File, Run Cust..." action). From there you select the Actuator capability, the Zen31 as the device, and the Custom Command "setEffect". Send it a number for the effect you want.

Here is a screenshot of the Rule (excluding the trigger) that would set it to use the Fireplace effect.
zen31

2 Likes

Worked like a charm. The key for me was "ACTUATOR". I was looking for the device when I should have selected ACTUATOR and it wasn't on the list. Thanks a bunch, makes this device very functional now.

I am guessing that I would need to make a virtual device to trigger effects from my dashboard then correct?

No. You could use the buttons that are directly offered by the Zen31 itself if you do not have those used by something else.

But you CAN use a virtual device(s) if you want. Or if you want a switch instead of a button, things like that.

@snell You seem to be familiar with this dimmer. I am running into some conflicts that you might have seen as well. I will try to explain the best I can.
I created a doubleclick scene on input 4 that turns off the color and the white light channels. I notice two issues with this though.
First Issue: When I doubleclick, the dimmers built in response is to go full brightness so I see it get brighter before my routine that turns off the white channel. I am guessing there is no work around for this since it is local on the device. I don't want to eliminate the direct physical switches in case my hub goes down.

Second Issue: Once I have run my routine, I cannot use the physical switch to turn my white channel back on. I have to use the dimmer template in my dashboard to re-enable the white channel, It appears that when I turn off a channel from code, the physical switch is disabled until I turn that same channel back on from the Z-Wave side. Does that make sense? Any ideas of how to work around this? I am seeing similar problems if I try using set dimmer level or change dimmer level etc.

For the first issue, you can control how each of the inputs are treated as part of parameters 20-23. The default is that they are treated as momentary switches and thus control dimming (or hue, per parameter 150). I think this is making your second issue occur also to be honest.

I just checked the manual for those parameter #s:

BUT, they are all broken out in the driver as Preferences. So you probably want to change them to Toggle Switches. 20-23 are the "Input Type" preferences, and 150 is the RGBW / HSB Wall Switch Mode preference.

@snell I think I figured out part of my problem. You really can't mix the use of switches and buttons without the Zooz device having conflicts with priority of each function over the other. So I have dropped back to trying to work with nothing but buttons which mostly works fine and as expected with one exception.
If I create a button on my dashboard, for example, Button 4 under the parent device, and also create a display for the attribute of "pushed" I will see my attribute change to 4 when I push the physical button wired to the dimmer and also if I push the dashboard button. The problem is that even though I get the acknowledgement for pushing button 4 in the dashboard, the light does not turn on. The physical switch does turn the light on. This appears to be a bug somewhere. Either the Zooz dimmer is not processing the button press from the Z-Wave side or the Hubitat is not sending the button command. Have you ever tried to use both the dashboard button and a physical wired button in your setup? The Zooz dimmer is configured to default values for all parameters.

Unfortunately no, I have not tried wiring anything to them. In my use cases there is not a convenient location for any type of button or switch nor any real need for them. Sorry.

Thanks for sharing what you did know. I also noticed that the "PUSH" under Devices does not work. I'm thinking this might be a driver issue or a firmware issue with the device. I'll figure something out. Maybe one of the Hubitat guys will figure it out one day and fix it.

If you think it is a driver issue, @bcopeland is usually a good person to reach out to.

Could you share additional screen shots or information on this? I am a very new user and have not been able to translate what you said above into what I need to do. Controlling effects on my Zooz ZEN31 RGBW controller is exactly what I am trying to solve. Thank you

I am going to break this down as much as possible, so bear with it:

1. In Apps, select the "Rule Machine" link.
  2. Select the "Create New Rule" button.
  3. Enter a name for the Rule being created, then click off of the name field, it should now show the main Rule creation layout.
    Step 3
  4. Select the "Select Trigger Effects" button.
  5. Select the "Click to Set" field below the "Select capability for new Trigger effect" label to open the dropdown of trigger options.
    Step 5
  6. Select which capability you want to use, I am going to select Button for this example.
  7. This step will vary on the type of capability you selected. If you went with Button, you will get a screen as shown below. Fill in/select the options for the capability. I have selected a Button Device I have labeled Nexia NX1000 and set the Button number to be 5 (and left the type of button press at "pushed").
    Step 7
  8. Select the "Done with this Trigger Event" button.
  9. You can now add additional triggers if you want, once complete select the "Done with Trigger Events" button.
  10. Select the "Select Actions to Run" button.
  11. Select the "Select Action Type to add" dropdown and choose "Set Mode, Variables or File, Run Custom Action".
    Step 11
  12. Select the "Select Which Action" dropdown and choose "Run Custom Action".
    Step 12
  13. Select the "Click to set" dropdown below the "Select capability of action device" label and choose "Actuator".
  14. Select the "Select Actuators to act on" button and choose your Zen31 from the list then click elsewhere outside the selection window so it closes.
  15. Select the "Click to set" dropdown below the "Select custom command" label and choose "setEffect".
    Step 15
  16. Select the "Click to set" dropdown below the "parameter type" label and choose "number".
  17. Enter the effect number you want to run in the "integer value" field then select the "Done with parameter" button. In my example I entered 1 (the "Fire Place" effect).
    Step 17
  18. Select the "Done with this action" button.
  19. If you want to set more actions you can, but otherwise select the "Done with Actions" button. It should go back to the main Rule creation page and look something similar to my screenshot:
    Step 19
  20. Select the "Done" button to be complete. Your newly created Rule will appear as a link in the list below Rule Machine.
1 Like

Great post there @Snell. You beat me to it, but that is exactly what I would have posted. Fair warning to @nfd0800 , There are some odd behaviors in the firmware of these devices that may surface if you use the hardwired switch inputs and the Dashboard controls together. Don't assume you are doing something wrong if you do something like turning it off via the dashboard, but then have trouble turning it back on with the physical switch. It is a little confusing figuring our if you need to use the parent or child device to turn things on or of as well. I can't anticipate what you might want to do, but I can tell you, test it, and if it does not work, try something else till you find a combination of things that don't conflict.
Also, I will add that the possible effects are values of 0-5.

• 0 =Disable

• 1 = Fireplace Mode

• 2 = Storm Effect (uses white channel for lightning flashes)

• 3 = Deep Fade Effect

• 4 = Lite Fade effect

• 5 = Police Lights.

All effects work fairly well and things like the police lights or fireplace would not be possible to mimic from the hub. The lite and deep fade cycles probably could, but it is much easier to just use the built in feature in my opinion. That takes the work load off of your hub.

Good luck and happy hacking!

Thanks much for the additional info. I replied to @Snell that I figured out how to create a virtual button (I was making that a lot harder than it was). Don't laugh too much but when I went to create my first virtual device, I did not know the selection list included items that started with the word "virtual". Once I stumbled onto that a child was born, and then I was able to follow @Snell's detailed instructions and of course it worked.

So help me understand, the Zooz Zen31 documentation on the driver contains the following:

@Field static Map lightEffects=[0:"None", 6:"Fireplace", 7:"Storm", 8:"Rainbow", 9:"Polar Lights", 10:"Police"]

Those effects values are different than what you listed. Would that be a different vintage, or will either work, or ??

Thanks much,

Ed

I think those values either refer to something else, or are just wrong. Not sure. That was why I posted the values above, because I already stumbled on that.

@nfd0800:
I have never seen ones with those numbers so I can only assume that is a mistake, as @WasLost1 stated.

In my house, my girls like Rainbow, my wife likes Storm. Fireplace is interesting, but gets too much green in it (when they are trying to make orange and yellow, it seems they might have put too much green). Police I think would really only be useful for Halloween props or something (it seems like something of an odd choice to build in). Unfortunately the effects are fixed and they have no plans/ability to change them or make them customizable. Maybe a future version if we are lucky.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.