How Can I Smartify This Gate Remote Control?

It's a small thing.
I doubt if I could do anything useful by pulling it apart.

Is there a doo-dad that could press a button?
The switch or finger bots, whatever, don't seem to be adaptable to this motion.

Thanks.

Why would fingerbot not work? Might have to make a little jig to hold the remote so it does not move but I think it could work.

Hubitat Garage Door control for Chamberlain MyQ enabled systems - #37 by arnb

Otherwise, if you crack it open the button push is probably just shorting out two contacts so you could possibly soldier some leader wires on it and then use something like a ZEN51 or ZEN16/17 to short it out for 2 seconds. Same concept as the garadget wireless adaptor for MyQ doors Security+ 2.0 Wireless Dry Contact Adapter – Garadget

1 Like

This is what I did Easiest Garage Door Opener - Zigbee

The Zigbee fingerbot works really well for me and super easy and cheap too.

3 Likes

Sweet! Thanks!

edit: I don't have as much real estate to work with, but I'll give it a try.

Make a little jig with a wood block if you need to. Carve out the shape of the remote and drop it in, then you can mount the fingerbot over it, secured to the wood block and the remote.

1 Like

I'm looking on Amazon right now for a Zigbee version.

Yeah weird they seem to only have BT on Amazon. If you want to avoid Ali Express due to transit time, they have some on eBay per the link from the driver post, the first one I clicked on said it shipped from Kentucky. Probably all come from Ali anyway, they just buy in bulk and then resell locally with a mark up, same as what you find on Amazon.

1 Like

I'm not seeing a Zigbee version on Amazon yet.

Ordered two off ebay.

1 Like

On a whim, I went to the gate operator website, topens.com .
They have a wall mounted unit, with removable operator (like a ZEN34).
A LOT of real estate for the Fingerbot.
Hopefully, it has the range of the included car remotes, which are fantastic.
It says 65', but the small car remotes go way past that.
Interestingly, it uses an A27 battery, which seems to be a 12v battery in AA form; I've never seen anything like that.
I'll try ordering one and see what happens.

@kkossev , the Fingerbots aren't repeaters, are they? They're battery operated, but I thought I'd ask. I'm trying to avoid Zigbee repeaters. Thanks.

The Fingerbots are not Zigbee repeaters (routers).

1 Like

The gate remote arrived and it does have adequate range.
Just waiting on the Fingerbots now.

This what I have so far.
I have down set to 70%.
I'm expecting someone shortly so I can't actually test, but later.
Driver seems to work great out of the box.

1 Like

I would've just butchered a fob. Once opened and the button is popped off, there's often a small copper plate that bridges a couple of contacts on the PCB. With that removed, I would just solder a bit of wire across two of the contacts and hook those up to the output of a Z Wave or Zigbee relay then pop the lot in a small enclosure.

I've done that with wireless doorbell pushes and at some point will do the same on my Aqualisa shower remote to make it 'smart'. To avoid a finger bot I'll also need to butcher the Sage/Breville dual boiler coffee machine.

Well, it works!

I have it in "Push" (vs "Switch") mode.
My beef with Dashboard is that if you "press" a button on the dashboard, it doesn't blink once or anything. It does nothing. I see the contact sensor react after its delay, but it'd be nice if the button would show an indication when its pressed.

I’m writing a custom iOS dashboard for my setup. At first I said I didn’t need button animations since this was only for me. Later I added them into the custom button handler and kicked myself for not doing it earlier.

Sometimes it’s the little things.

I just noticed that the app on my Android gives you a flash. Just not on my laptop, running Firefox.

@thebearmay had a nice tip here. I modified it so it only affects that one button. Don't ask anything, because I have no idea what I actually did, just used someone else's CSS hints when I was messing with formatting CSS for the Sinope propane tank level sensor.

1 Like