How can I setup a light switch to pulse the lights continuously? (halloween effect)

I know its a bit late, but I just thought about doing this.

I have an outdoor socket that is controlled by an Inovelli red switch. I would like to use the inovelli to pulse the lights that are in a pumpkin for a breathing or flickering type effect.
I would be happy with a slow ramp up and ramp down that just goes continuously. I am struggling to figure out where in hubitat to do that. The rules machine seems to be all about some triggering action.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks

Got any Hue lights and a Hue bridge?

No. just the inovelli red and hubitat. The inovelli is controlling a string of lights that are orange and red leds (think outdoor christmas lights)

Sorry. There are usually flicker boxes at Halloween stores. If you have a Zigbee smart bulb, I seem to recall a community app that added flickering. I donā€™t think the Z-Wave red series can react quickly enough for flickering.

Maybe run out and buy some Twinkly smart Christmas lights if you can find them yet. Theyā€™re pretty cool, will do basically what youā€™re attempting, and it gives you an excuse to spend $120 on 250 Christmas lights. :grimacing:

For the record, if anyone with a Hue bridge is looking at this thread, I use the apps, Firestorm for Hue to flicker the lights on the outside and front rooms of our house. And for a lightning effect I use Thunderstorm for Hue (with a Hue color bulb). Very quick and simple effects I can enable each year in a matter of seconds. My lights from the previous year are already selected and ready to go. I just need to turn it on. Thunderstorm for Hue gives you rain and thunder sounds, so I just connect a Bluetooth speaker to my phone, and place the speaker out in the yard. Both apps can run on the bridge at the same time, no problem.

I donā€™t do even close to what I used to do for Halloween, but some basic effects I can set up in about 10 minutes whereas it used to take me hours to run wires and set up laptops with amps for sound, and all kinds of other effects that took many flicker boxes, etc. Habitat for sensors and actuators, and the Hue Bridge for lighting effects makes things a lot easier.

Try this. Granted I am testing with a Smart Bulb because my only Inovelli Red device is acting as a button controller, not a Z-Wave dimmer, but this rule does make my light flicker.

I just created the rule, installed it and the hit Run Actions and it started working. Turn on Random on the lowering action if you want to make it get randomly brighter and dimmer.

Ok I will give it a try. Thanks

1 Like