How can I restart hubitat thru an automation (rule)?

For my Hubitat ist loosing connections over the period of several days and I want to rastart it every night, so this might make it better.
can anybody help me with this?
Thanx
frank

My first inclination is to explore why you are experiencing issues that require you to restart, which is not something that should be necessary. That said, you could try installing the hub info (Community) driver and utilising the hub restart option. There are also other Community Apps / drivers I believe that will support this. But again, I would strongly encourage you to explore why you are needing to do this and resolve that rather than looking for a solution such as this. One silver lining though, would be to introduce you to the Hub Info driver if you have not already found it, a great addition to people's ability to monitor their hub and troubleshoot issues when they arise.

4 Likes

thanx for the fast response. I will try the Hub Information driver, it it is not too complicated.
sofar
frank

Same here.

If you are interested, some additional details might help solve the underlying problem.

2 Likes

Hi
what kind of details do you need? Iam very interested:
the problem is that hubitat freezes once in a while, every view days. The devices are not working anymore or the whole hubitat is not found in my network at all. I pull the plug, wail a view minutes and its online again.
I try to install the Hub informatin driver. just got to install the HPM first.
What else can I provide?

A couple of things / questions are:

• What colour is the LED light on the hub when things are not working? Green is good...
  • By not working, what do you mean? Can you access the hub via the mobiles app? Locally and/or via the cloud? Can you access the hub via a browser on your laptop PC? Can you access the hub using the 8081 port?
  • Is your HE hub connected via an ethernet cable or Wi-Fi?
  • Do you have an IP reserved for your HE hub in your router?
  • Is there anything that happens around the time things stop working? Power outages or restarts on your router / Wi-Fi network?

There's likely more questions, but these may be a (good?) start. There are some really good Community members round here who are happy to help people.

Good, clear responses to any questions they ask.

OK
the light is gree
i usually cannot access the hub via app nor pc locally
it is connected via cable
i have an reserved IP
sometimes only devides ar not working i.e.an motion sensor or a switch. I add these devices again and it normally works after that. sometimes i have to repeat this procedure.
when the hub is not accessable i pull the plug.
I have to admit, that i do not know a lot about hubitat. I have an homeassitant running, but the zigbee connection was just not good enoug, so i found someone on youtube, who used hubitat to connct all the zigbee devices and connect the hubitat with homeassitant. I started, however, to buld some automations with hubitat, and this works fine as well. so must of the switches and bulbs and sensors fpr motion, i use with hubitat, but the dashboard is still on HA. As well as the Solar panel, Electric Car and Power stuff.
I now managed to install HPM and try to get the information driver working

Re-adding devices or pulling the plug are not things your should need to do on a regular basis, in particular pulling the plug on the HE hub, this can cause issues. I would suggest working through the reasons why you are needing to this. Are there particular devices involved when you are needing to this?

at the moment all is working fine. this morning i had the last issues.
when hubitat is not responding, what should i do instead of pulling the plug?
I have the Hub information driver running now. what can I do to get infos of the system, when i had some issues?
greetings

Note the date/time that it occurs
Note down the devices you notice are not responding to either manual control via HE or automations in HE
Attempt to access the HE hub in various ways, via the mobile app, via a browser on a PC/laptop

Others may have more relevant advice....

Out of interest, do you have a regular restart of your Wi-Fi scheduled in your router? That is something I could do in mine, just wondered whether it could be at play here...

1 Like

When the hub seems to be inaccessible from a browser window or the mobile app, you can try browsing to http://<your.hub.ip>:8081

Replace <your.hub.ip> with your hub’s actual IP address. The :8081 port will try to access the hub’s diagnostic interface.

This is sometimes accessible when the main hub interface is not.

At this point, whatever the original problem, repeated pulls of the power plug could contribute to database corruption, which can manifest in all sorts of odd ways.

If you restore a recent hub backup, it will repair the database as a part of the restore process.

It might help to do that as an initial step now.

For rebooting, I use the "Rebooter" app

I use that if my zigbee radio acts up

Capture d’écran, le 2023-08-14 à 11.48.35

Something to be aware of is that if you have had to pull power many times you could also have database corruption. I would suggest creating a clean backup that you download to your pc and then perform a soft reset.

The process of doing a backup performs database cleanup that will remove corruption.

1 Like

Now my hubitat is irresponsive again, after 15 days. It does not seem to react on the port 8081 either. all devices ar not reactin in automation and manually. this realy is a bummer! what sense dos a diagnostic tool make, when you cannot access it?
greetings :pensive:

So I have to pull the plug again.

May be time to have @support_team take a look.

You said you reserved it. Was that done via setting a DHCP reservation in your router/DHCP sever or simply by setting a static ip on the device. If you set the static ip on the hubitat hub. What is the DHCP range of your router.

You mentioned earlier having Home Assistant and using Hubitat as a way to connect Zigbee devices. Are they integrated together in some way. What are you using to do that if so.

By chance are you capturing any memory stats for the hub. You may want to setup a Cloud InfluxDB account and Cloud Grafana account. Then capture the hub status from HubInfo v3 driver to the Cloud InfluxDB. Then use Grafana to provide some visuals for how the memory is being consumed.

1 Like