How can i improve my mesh network?

First, BIG thanks to the Hubitat team to introduce the inbuilt zigbee mesh network visualization feature.

It is so addictive to keep on viewing my network and seeing the routes across my devices. As a next step, it would be cool if Hubitat could use that graph to start to hint if there are opportunities to optimize my mesh network.

My network is currently showing up as below. How is my network? Are there any very evident problem area, such as perhaps possible overload, single point of failure etc. ? This is my DIY home network, so I am not looking for major investments to add dozens of additional devices, or second hub to make it fault tolerant, but I sure can add a repeater or two if needed, or move few repeaters around if it helps.

It’s apparently not advisable to read too much into what you’re seeing in that map.

2 Likes

Thanks! That is good to know. But then, if I leave the graph page open for longer time, will it gradually 'possibly' pick up more of my devices?

Right now, at first glance, I am trying to see if some of my repeaters can be better placed. E.g. I noticed that one of my repeater was not talking to anybody. I moved it to a different wall, and now it is routing to 4 devices, which I feel helped in some way to make the network more robust?

i also see that a number of my upstairs' battery sensors, are connected by a basement repeater switch. Perhaps I can try to position a repeater closer to the upstairs' sensors which would be physically closer.

Are you noticing any problems with your automations? Or issues with specific devices?

Actually, no. All working perfectly(i think). I am 100% on zigbee devices and no apparent issues (apart from battery drain on battery devices :stuck_out_tongue:

This is just out of curiosity, and if i can make my network follow more best practices to be robust and performant. Also, I have more unused repeater in my closet which I can place somewhere if it helps.

Then if it were me, I’d stop looking at that map :slightly_smiling_face:.

5 Likes

If you try to chase the info in that graph, you'll just go in circles and hit dead-ends.

I still contend that graph is not useful for anything beyond being a novelty. I'd love for someone to prove me wrong though.

2 Likes

It's more like a software Easter Egg. . . neat too. . . hopefully an introduction to something neater one day? Definitely maybe.

:innocent:

...bob t

The most thanks should go's to @ dandanache because he created this zigbee visualization and it was so good, the Hubitat team added the base feature set to the zigbee screen. The original author has added more functions to the stand-alone version.
[Zigbee] Visual render for getChildAndRouteInfo

The stand-alone version is in HPM so no need to maually add it as you read through the message thread he created the HPM package to make it easier for all of us.

I will say it is very neat to see the zigbee device paths and a good tool if you notice some oddities with a device. Thanks @ dandanache

3 Likes

Wow, I didn't know about that! Thanks.

Is there no way/hack for this extremely nice looking graph to show all the devices to render the full network?

No, since both versions draw from the same incomplete source.

If you're interested in seeing an accurate portrayal of your entire zigbee mesh, then you'll need Xbee.

If you want a full, accurate picture of the Zigbee mesh, I think you need an xbee device (Everything Xbee).