How can I get Rule Machine to recognize a Schlage manual unlock?

I want my Schlage Connect to automatically relock after some period of time as long as the door is shut. I've been playing around with this in rule machine for an hour and a half and I can't get it to work properly.

The main issue is that I can't figure out how to get Rule Machine to recognize a physical manual unlock, using the knob. When I unlock the door manually, it instantly shows "unlocked" on the lock's device page, and the unlocking event shows up in the logs, but the door never relocks.

This automation works perfectly when the door is unlocked electronically. Any tips on this?

I've tried to attach screenshots of the logs to this post directly and also to paste links to the screenshots and both methods result in an error telling me that I can't do that.

Edit: After creating this post, I was bumped up a "trust level". I can now post links.

Manual Unlock Logs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12HrJY_5k-7kqzfwmpyXrIe5biFnPfvxm/view

Digital Unlock Logs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12JVUOoDdDoBxonmaKs8YxzMtpo0Q4k1p/view

You should just be able to have a trigger of "schlage lock changes", then do a conditional action saying If unlocked for longer than x minutes then lock. Works fine on my hub.

Can you post a screenshot of your actions and triggers?

The door is "Door Front" the lock is "Door Front Lock". I think what you suggested would be the second trigger in my list, correct? I put all three of those different door lock triggers in there when I was trying to get it to work.

In my case, I also added a condition (magnet door closed) to lock only if the door is physically closed and keep the door unlocked while the door is still open. And I just monitor the changed status in the trigger.
And the rules works, whatever the method: manual (knob when inside) or electronically (code when outside or through the hub).

I just copied yours exactly and it doesn't work either. It never relocks after a manual unlock.

hmmm, the brand is different (Yale vs Schlage). You need to ask schlage locks users.
Do you have in your lock an automatic lock feature built-in ? I disabled it in my lock because it locks automatically the lock, whatever the status of the door (open/close) and after a very quick moment.
What's your model number ?

I'll edit also this post title to put Schlage on it.

Automatic lock is not enabled. It's a BE469ZP.

Which driver are you using for this lock?

"Schlage BE468/BE469 Lock" It's native to Hubitat.

When you installed the lock, did it Hubitat pick that driver, or did you pick it?

I ask because while I am sure that is the correct driver for the older z-wave BE469/BE468, I'm not sure that's the right driver for the zwave+ BE469ZP.

Edit - If Hubitat picked that driver, then everything's ok. The driver has the fingerprint for the z-wave+ BE469ZP and presumably the z-wave+ command classes that recognize manual unlock.

1 Like

Hubitat picked it.

1 Like

Can you try making this very simple rule and tell us what happens?

Trigger:

Door Front Lock *changed*

Actions:

IF (Door Front Lock locked) THEN
    Cancel Delayed Actions
ELSE
    Lock Door Front Lock --> delayed 0:02:00 (cancelable)
ENDIF

The idea behind this rule is that the only condition being tested for is if the lock is locked. Any other state should result in the lock getting locked. Also, I'd rather remove the complexity of adding in the contact sensor until something simple works reliably.

Edit - please make it as a fresh rule and pause other rules for the "Door Front Lock" while testing this rule.

That rule has the same issue. It does not relock after a manual unlock.

This works for me...

Contact support@hubitat.com, tagging @bobbyD.

Question: If you unlock manually, can you lock the lock from the webpage for the lock?

Edit: Can you also turn on logging (events, triggers, actions) for the rule that you created (based on the one posted). And post the log?

I posted the rule I used and the logs from when the rule ran after a manual unlock.

02%20AM

46%20AM

I like your's, it's much cleaner than mine. I set it up and unfortunately it doesn't behave any differently.

Will do.

Yes.

My rule was pretty messy, so I'm going to use one of these others that have been posted. Here are the logs from the rule poster by Vettester.

Thanks for posting those logs.

Could you try two different things:

1. Without making any Hubitat changes, manually unlock the lock. Then go to the device page for the lock, and try locking it using the Lock button. Does that work?

If that doesn't work, then try this:

1. Change the lock driver from "Schlage BE468/BE469 Lock" to "Generic Z-Wave Lock". After changing the driver, press "Save", and then press "Configure".

Now repeat the same test as above. Does it work?

Also, post lock details (like those shown below):

09%20PM

Yes, that does work.

Ready to hear something weird? I tried this anyway, and the lock DOES re-lock properly when using the Generic Z-Wave Lock device handler. After a manual unlock, it does re-lock. Strange. Maybe I'll just stick with this generic driver for now.

My lock has identical details to the screenshot that you posted.

I guess that we could consider this kind of solved, but I have a related follow up question. Let's say that I have the re-lock delay set at ten minutes. If I walk into the house, then need to run out to the car 9.5 minutes later, it's going to lock me out when I'm outside.

This issue also come into play for notifications. I like to have a "door left unlocked" notification of about twenty minutes. If the door relocks and then happens to be unlocked again at the end of that 20 minutes, I get a notification that the door is stuck unlocked for some reason even though that isn't the case.

On Smartthings, there was a custom lock control smartapp that would restart the lock delay timer every time the door was opened. This is also possible through Webcore using "door stay closed for time" instead of "is door closed after time".

I can't figure out a way to duplicate this functionality through Rule Machine. Has anyone managed this?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.