How Can I Associate Several Switches to a Motion Detector?

Hi. I'm new and just trying to figure things out.
I think I'd like to control three (new) switches for lights to a (new) motion detector.
I've read of direct association that bypasses the hub, but I can't figure out how it's done.
Something about putting them in a different z-wave class, but I have no idea.
The motion sensor is a Zoozo ZSE29 and the switches are new version GE Enbrightens.
The advanced driver for the ZSE29 has a box to put in associated devices, but nothing happens-nothing related in the log.
Thanks for any help.

I am not sure what you are trying to do exactly, but the motion lighting app could handle the task.

3 Likes

you dont need to do direct associations that is way overkill.. recommend you put the lights in a group, and use the motion lighting app as mentioned to turn on off the group with motion.. you dont need the group but that makes it easier to optimize.

3 Likes

There's really no reason to do this, in the long run it's going to cause you more trouble than it's worth.
There's a reason we don't implement this in our drivers.

4 Likes

Could you please go into a little more detail?
I've done a lot of searching and there's not a super whole lot on this.

Like mentioned above, Motion Lighting would be a good way to start out. I would try that first and if it doesn't work as expected, we can walk you through certain settings.

2 Likes

Could you describe your use case in more detail? Do you want the three light switches to turn on under all conditions when there's motion (eg. day/night, all modes, etc.)? Or would you want more control over when and how the lights are turned on for a motion event.

In general, the built-in Motion Lighting app, referenced by @neonturbo/@kahn-hubitat/@davidcwright59 , is more versatile than direct z-wave association.

Also z-wave association doesn't save that much in z-wave network traffic or execution speed (recall all automations with Hubitat are local).

If you decide that z-wave association is the better option for you, I recommend installing Hubitat Package Manager and using it to install the z-wave association tool.

1 Like

a: it's old spec/tech, designed for cases where there isn't a need for a hub
b: this functionality is supposed to be replaced by the central scene class
c: Its more than likely that a device that's been associated to another device will not update the hub when it's state changes, this leaves the state of the device in HE out of sync with the actual device.
d: unless you have a packet capture utility, you have no way to even do basic debugging.
e: with most devices you are limited to 5 associated nodes, so this doesn't scale well at all.
f: you can't control zigbee/wifi/cloud, or any other device with this

7 Likes

also the issue is if you do it and cannot remove it from the device or one fails. you are hosed. i had to throw out a switch becuase i couldnt remove the pairing and the other device failed or wasnt working correctly

2 Likes

Thanks everyone. A lot of downside.

1 Like