How best to connect Z-Wave Smoke Detectors (in UK)

Note: I am in UK so audio connections like Ecolink's don't work here.

I have 10 Heat-It Z-Smoke detectors. These are all hardwired (AC powered).
I can link them to my C7 no problem, but what is the best way to link them together so that if one is triggered I get an alarm at all/some of the others?

I note that the Heat-It Z-Smoke manual says (see below). but how do I set this up on the hub?

SERIAL CONNECTION

1. Add all smoke detectors to the same network.
  2. Assign the smoke detectors to the correct zone/room in primary
    controller.
  3. Access associations from the primary gateway (please refer to
    primary controller manual).
  4. Assign associations from each device using association group 2
    (Sensor Basic Set) to all other smoke detectors.

There's an app for that!
Is this what you were looking for?

I already use that for several Aeotec Multisensor 7 sensors on "Intrusion-Away".
But can it trigger other alarms (ie. the sounders in other smoke detectors)?
I need any smoke sensor triggered to cause the sounders in other sirens to go off.

Or does HSM do these associations somehow? Can it send notifications to other smoke detectors? What would I need to setup? Is it the " Configure Smoke Light and Switch Alerts"? Those don't seem to want to let me set smoke detectors as "switches to turn on".

Thanks

Hi,

There is no standard function to set associations, it must be supported in the driver for your smoke alarms.

I have created a driver you can use to set associations you could use if the smoke alarm driver does not support them. Hubitat/Basic Z-Wave Association tool.groovy at main · reneboer/Hubitat · GitHub

Note that you should only change group 2 as described in the sensor manual, do not change group 1 as that is used for communications between the hub and the sensor.

Cheers Rene

Thanks. I'll give that a go.

I now have a CO detector that is unsupported too. (POPP CO Detector). It says "supports the generic Z-Wave command class "Basic". The device will ignore any SET command but return he status of the sensor on a GET command (triggered=0xFF, idle=0x00).

Do I have to tackle that the same way or is there some way to tell my C7 to treat this like a switch?

It also says, "The Device will issue the following (unsolicited) alarm messages

• CO Danger detected
  • Low Battery Alarm
  • Tamper
  • Malfunction"

But I have no idea how to detect and distinguish those.

I am an embedded software developer so I am used to working with very basic documentation as well as detailed docs. I don't mind writing a bit of code if it is clear what I need to write but I have to say that so far the whole Z-Wave experience is looking very vague and inconsistent.

Thanks

• Andy

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.