Hot Tub Integration

Hi everyone !

I recently started using Hubitat and try to automate/customize as much as I can :slight_smile:

I have a plan to integrate my hot tub.
Main integrations:
-read temperature
-set temperature
-turn on pump or blower
-turn on led lights

For this purpose the Fibaro Smart Implant could be a good choice.

Now the most difficult part... how to integrate the smart implant with the main hot tub motherboard?

The board has an option to connect an external IR receiver and maybe I could use those pins?

This is the manual of my balboa system:

Any ideas? What would be the easiest way?

Thanks!

Seems you have a Balboa spa controller? I couldn't get your link above to work...

They make a Wifi module for the Balboa controllers, I have one and it works fine. The older version of this module has lots of bad reviews, but I have the newer one which has stayed connected for nearly a year now without any dropouts. The phone app works fine, be sure to use the newer app to get the ability to use cloud or local control.

There is actually a Smartthing app for this V2 module that someone wrote. I am able to install the driver and app and load the app in Hubitat, but unable to enter my credentials into the app without errors. I am not smart enough to figure out exactly why the app bombs out upon loading. I suspect it is the difference in how authentication works between ST and Hubitat. I was actually about to post this and see if anyone had thoughts how to fix the error.

Here is the source code for the app/driver. GitHub - natekspencer/BwaSpaManager: SmartThings integration with BWA controller

yes, but the older one. Wifi module not supported...Only IR :confused:
Balboa gl2001m3
Tech Sheet: https://www.poolandspacentre.co.uk/documents/GL2001.pdf

As you can see, there is the remote port.

If the IR module isn’t more expensive than just replacing the entire controller with the WiFi version (and then figuring out how to integrate that too!), then this might almost do what you need.

I think the problem is going to be that you can't just send it whatever signals. Do you have the remote? I doubt the commands are documented anywhere...

It looks like this is probably the remote? https://www.poolandspacentre.co.uk/products/universal-remote-ii-ce.html and it has just an IR sensor?

It might be feasible to use an IR blaster like a Broadlink RM Pro, or similar to send commands, but I am not the one to ask about it.

yes, but I don't have it :frowning:

seems that I have to buy the remote first, as Balboa isn't included in the database :frowning:

But you don’t have the IR module either correct, so that would include the remote. That’s how you would “teach” it the remote codes. That’s what I had in mind, and I thought you did too.

I wouldn’t have a clue how to direct interface to the port for their IR module, without using the module.

The remote (£169.78 ) is NOT included with the receiver... and the receiver (£48.19) does NOT include the remote...

So all in with both devices is expensive...

On the good news side... The remote is a custome JP1 remote... and the JP1 hacking sites indicate that it is a standard 38KHz universal remote... So the codes would be learnable by almost any standard IR learning device.... If you go to one of these sites and find the appropriate thread... You could possible get one of the posters there to do you a favour and record the SPA control codes from the remote for you... Whatever format you can get can be converted to a format that the IP2IR or Broadlink RM devices can use...

Also a possibility is using the "main panel"/"Aux Panel"/"ADCM" connectors... Reverse engineering seems to indicate that the one or more of the connectors use a RS-485 serial interface... see HERE... A USB2RS485 is under $10USD, and you can run the software on a raspberry Pi... You could then use NodeJS or NODE-RED or whatever to interface with the Hubitat...

Edit: Checking out the Balboa US Patent application for a spa equipment testing system specifically shows a screenshot of their Windows PC test software prompting the user to connect the test equipment to J71... So the Main panel connectors will have some sort of serial interface...

Edit2: The document also states...

In an exemplary embodiment, the microcomputer may be a PIC 18F6620 microcomputer, 
although other microprocessors can alternatively be employed. The spa controller
board 20 may also include a serial data bus or ADCM (advanced diagnostic control and
monitoring) port which may be connected to the test station controller 100 through 
the level shifting module 86. In an exemplary embodiment, the port may provide full 
duplex serial data bus connections allowing signals to be passed in both directions 
simultaneously between the controller and the controller 20. The terminals of the 
ADCM port may be coupled to terminals of the microcomputer, e.g. through buffer 
circuits well known in the art. 

The PIC16F660 is a typical component in low cost RS-485 adapters... So... The ADCM port is likely to contain the primary RS-485 data bus.

So what about if @sbartoszek85 were to buy the receiver for 48 quid, and then maybe a local dealer would be so kind as to let him use a remote in-store to Learn the codes to the iTach TCP/IP to IR Converter using their iLearn software? Seems like an easier setup to me.

You might want to take a look at this project where we are working on integration with these kind of control systems

github netmindz
balboa_GL_ML_spa_control