HomeSeer or Hubitat - Why?

One thing to add. Motion sensor that trigger lights run faster in Homeseer.

How are you measuring this, and what devices and automations are you using on each? On both platforms, it depends on the device you're using: HomeSeer has lackluster Zigbee support as of the last time I checked, so most options are going to be Z-Wave, and those sensors tend to just be inherently slow (compared to Zigbee) no matter which platform you're on. On Hubitat, lots of people create simple automations in Rule Machine for no good reason other than that they can (I said "simple"; there are reasons you may want to), but a smaller purpose-built app is likely to execute faster--think Motion Lighting, Simple Lighting, or a custom Groovy app.

An anecdote: on Hubitat with an Iris v2 motion sensor and a custom Groovy app I wrote for lighting, my Hue Bridge bulbs come on almost as soon as the green LED on the Iris sensors (indicating it detected motion) flashes. I can hardly imagine anything faster; I can definitely imagine lots of things slower--SmartThings with custom code, webCoRE, etc. I don't know what the options are for creating automations in HS3 or whatever you're using on HomeSeer, but if it ends up being much faster, you're likely comparing Zigbee to Z-Wave (unlikely given Hubitat's advantage with the former) or have a "bad" app on Hubitat, which even for small, purpose-built apps theoretically could be faster but, given what I've seen based on logs, it could be maybe tens of milliseconds and hardly noticeable to a human. If HS is that much faster, I'm curious. :slight_smile:

For me, HS is "faster" in the sense that complex conditional logic processing is faster due to having basically unlimited resources to play with. I go crazy with my conditions for lighting, because why not? That's the whole point of automating stuff isn't it? I use the cheap Iris V2 zigbee sensors to push everything to HomeSeer via the MakerAPI (plugin on HomeSeer).

A similar setup with RM (even the motion lighting app) on Hubitat was definitely slower - I haven't done any metrics but I'm pretty sensitive to latency especially with my bathroom lights automations! I'm sure if I was to roll my own groovy app on Hubitat it would just be as fast, but this is a good option for those who don't want to or have the time to do that.

In fact the only time I got near "instant" response with my zigbee sensors was with the simple lighting app.

That explains it: the more complicated/larger the app, the more time it may take to load (especially the first time it executes...or maybe the first time in a while...I'm not really sure how the JVM handles things behind the scenes). Rule Machine is particularly large and--I assume, based on what we can see of how configuration is done in the UI and how settings page appears since it is closed-source--has to traverse a lot of settings to figure out what to do next. A Groovy app, native or custom, built for a specific purpose would do far less of that (and that's likely even more true for Simple Lighting than Motion Lighting, as I'd assume the former is smaller but both undoubtedly more so than RM).

Sending the sensor data off for somewhere else to do the work is a perfectly fine way around this issue, though. I did the same with Home Assistant for a while, partly because that's what I was mostly migrating from (after moving away from ST) and partly because I didn't want to re-write logic I just wrote in Home Assistant/AppDaemon (in Python) for Hubitat again. I eventually did just to lessen dependence on one more external system.

That being said, I have an HS3-Pi3 license I might play around with sometime just to see how it works. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iris v2 via maker API to Homeseer.

I’m using motion lighting app.

I noticed it by two extra foot steps into a room. Using Homeseer instant.

I just did a reboot of Hubitat and will compare against.

That's another issue: if you're using custom apps or drivers on Hubitat, some may be poorly written and slow the system down (either immediately, at random, or over time). Some people think something in the system itself might do this on its own, at least after a while, and a reboot may help, though any official word is that it shouldn't (Chromecast beta app being a possible exception). Can't hurt!

I have basically one driver. The darkstat weather app. That’s it.

Reboot didn’t make a difference in speed.

Definitely give it a shot! HomeSeer events and logic works quite differently from Hubitat so it's a bit of a learning curve there. HS4 is also supposed to change things up a bit.

I love Hubitat as a platform but as it's currently not meeting my needs, the combination of HS+Hubitat has finally gotten me to a point where I can stop tinkering with this stuff for a while. My goal is to keep Hubitat as lean as possible until things are more mature, then maybe in the future who knows?

HS Z-Wave support is on a whole another level though. They also have this software for mapping out your Z-Wave network which is 60 bucks, but it looks really interesting for people with extensive z-wave networks.

Side note: Iris V2 sensors are possibly the best motion sensors ever made, I have a stockpile of them for when I finally buy a house!

1 Like

I’m running into limitations with Homeseer.

It could be my lack of experience but it looks like you really need the easytrigger plugin.

For instance multiple motion sensors and writing a billion if and orif events gets old fast!!!

Hubitat is so much better for this. I came across the easytrigger plugin that seems to solve most these issues.

Are you using this plugin?

I actually purchased the plugin after making all my logic without it haha. But yeah, you do need multiple OR IF statements for EACH trigger which is really quite stupid. In Hubitat you can just multiselect a bunch of motion sensors and click on any. Not so on HS.

I really purchased the Easytrigger plugin for its schedules functionality which makes my complex scheduling super simple. Try it out for 30 days and see if its worth the 30 bucks. If not, you're stuck with the old messy way of doing things or I THINK HS4 is changing a few things around.

I should also note that it wasn't that much work for me to setup virtual occupancy sensors for each of my zones. I spent a few hours understanding the logic, everything works great and I can use the virtual sensors for multiple automations. It's just a one time setup.

At the end of the day, I'm pretty confident that I won't have to worry about random slowdowns with this setup, which is crucial to my WAF! It's been about 3 weeks now, and everything is great!

Yeah these plugins are a bit killer in terms of pricing ...

I’m trying to gauge if it’s worth all this extra expense!

I bought the Hubitat plugin, now I need the Caseta plugin, and now the easytrigger plugin. I will then need ecobee.

Soon enough I need to upgrade my license to push past the 5 plugin restriction.

Lastly, ifttt seems screwy. I set that up and ifttt saw the virtual switch change 2 plus houses later......

What’s your thoughts ?

Oh yeah, the plugin situation is pretty insane. I don't mind paying for the Hubitat plugin and EasyTrigger. But I think that's it. The interesting thing is that Hubitat has free integration with Lutron, so I can just bring those in with the Hubitat plugin.

mcsMQTT is also free which opens up a LOT of possible integrations for free (if you put in the effort, the documentation for that plugin reads like a bible)

HS4 is supposedly bringing in a lot of common integrations for free like Chromecast, ecobee etc. (they hired one of the major plugin devs.) and better Zigbee support is also coming. I feel pretty good about the platform's future but only time will tell.

No clue about IFTTT unfortunately, I try to actively avoid it.

IMO, the $50(?) to upgrade from the HS3Pi to HS4 special going on right now is pretty good. HS3-Pi is pretty limited.

On that, we agree. The pi version is a joke in general, and I really don't think they should even sell it... But that's my opinion ...

Yeah I got HS3-Pi for "free" during their promotion and hated how restrictive it was. It actually installed on my x86 server just fine but running HomeSeer on linux just never seemed right. I believe HomeSeer was built for Windows and depends on Mono for running on linux?

TBH, my current solution doesn't NEED HomeSeer, I'm sure I could get everything running just as well using MQTT+HomeAssistant. I'm following Kevin's progress on the MQTT driver very closely so as soon as that's out of Alpha, I'll probably revisit HomeAssistant.

1 Like

I'm using his mqtt aloha app w/HA. Pretty slick. More work to be done of course, but getting there!

I own an HS license, use HA and Hubitat... Still have my ST hub handy... So lots of options if I want to play.

Don't use OpenHAB any more though.

1 Like

There is an upgrade path from the PI version to the full blown HS4 ?

There is a license upgrade path, but configuration upgrade path - I don't know.

Yeah HomeSeer HS4 Upgrade From HS3-Pi-3

Welp, I thought I was getting a good deal by paying $125, but this would have been cheaper for me since i already got HS3Pi for free.

Thanks. I installed the easytrigger plugin and wow that saves hours of writing events!!

But again, what benefits do I get by flipping over all this cash... I’m trying to make a good use case what I can do over Hubitat...

Sinking money into this is part of the hobby! :laughing:

I honestly can't tell you if HS is right for you. You have 30 days to try things out, which I think is a pretty decent trial period. At the end of the day, I look at it as an investment into finding a platform that works for me in the long run with minimal supervision and maintenance. I no longer want to tweak around and mess with things, but I do enjoy the creature comforts and cool factor that Home Automation brings.