HomeSeer or Hubitat - Why?

Well to me, running my home automation system on a device that needs monthly patches and maintenance is not a "bonus", it would just be an annoyance.

Full system or hub there's always an OS...

Not arguing that HomeSeer is expensive.

1 Like

True, it's another layer but it will also reveal more options available for automation. You can write scripts outside of HomeSeer and harness things at the OS level. You also get a unit that processes rules faster.

This could be the same for any automation software that runs on a full PC, including Node-Red. That's another subject to touch on, and I'm fairly new to it. I personally think HS has a nicer interface to write events then Node-Red or Hubitat.

1 Like

Why not? :slight_smile:

If interested.

I tested out Hubitat’s Simple Automation app. I got the motion lighting speeds down to 180ms or so. Grant you, I have no other apps installed on the hub besides maker and Lutron.

So if your motion lighting is fairly simple, I would suggest using this app to achieve the fastest speeds.

2 Likes

This is really an important finding.
What it says is:
If you can, wherever possible, move rules from Rule Machine to Simple Automation, even if many SA's need to replace one RM.
If Simple Automation doesn't have the capability that you need, and it's a common need, ask for a feature upgrade to SA.

I’ve picked up that it’s practically always better to......
A) use Apps over RM, where possible
B) use many simple Rules rather than 1 complex Rule.

1 Like

Many threads point towards the hub being to under powered. See below.

I know the team may feel different and debate, but they need something faster in my eyes.

• multiple hubs
  • complex rules
  • to many apps or complex apps
  • chatty devices (maybe)
  • etc...

There sure is no “ 1 size fits all” solution.
I think their success shows they’ve built a solution that works great for the vast majority of users and is getting better and better.

3 Likes

I couldn't agree with you more.

If the overwhelming number of end users require only a few RM rules, and can be satisfied with automation being primarily done by Simple Automation, then the current Hubitat hardware is perfectly adequate.

Furthermore, if you outgrow the one Hubitat hardware, then by all means get another one, and use HubConnect for less than the price of 2 switches!

It should be well understood by now that RM is an "interpreted" code generator, which will never be as "efficient" as "compiled" code. It's really designed to be easy to use, and I think it meets that expectation.

4 Likes

For the semi-experienced tech person RM is relatively easy. I am not completely sure it's that way for the general public though. The issues are in the subtle details - but you could also argue understanding "Home Automation" concepts does require a certain level of knowledge anyway.

Replacing "Simple Lighting" with "Simple Automation" is a step in the right direction. For new users starting there as a way to ease into the logic of HE seems like really good idea.

If Homeseer crashes on an RPIE it was probably the SD card. I’ve had that happen to me in Home Assistant. I’ve since switched to Home Assistant on VM, and I’m using a Hubitat for Zigbee. I’ve been wondering what storage does the Hubitat use? Is there an SD in there waiting to die?

No, there's a Samsung KLM8G1GETF-B041 8 GB eMMC in there waiting to die. :wink:

Nothing lasts forever and you're not going to be replacing the eMMC IC when it does eventually give up. But it's a quality part, so as long as it's not being thrashed I wouldn't be surprised to see the vast majority still doing their job in a decade.

I've got crappy MMC storage around here that's 13 years old now, still working just fine.

You can link MyQ with Key by Amazon. Haven't done it but have considered it. Then the delivery driver can open it. Yeah that sounds a bit risky but..................

Sort of... I use X10 with the Hubitat... but it requires, in my case, an RPI running HomeGenie connected to the X10 Active Home power line interface. It works quite well actually... in some sense... it is more reliable than my silly zigbee network... I use a little driver Iwrote that connects the Hubitat to the Rpi via URL calls

So how and what is the state of Hubitat these days?

Homeseer has been rock solid since I moved off Hubitat. I honestly forget it’s running. It just runs for months.

Has Hubitat improved any?

I have zwave, zigbee, and Lutron. Around 100 devices and 60 or so automation and several dashboards. Over the course of two years, the only problems I have had is one zwave inovelli switch locking up (pulled the air gap problem fixed) and problems with a zwave thermostat that was quickly resolved. I honestly forget it's running. It just runs for years.

I guess you will have to run Homeseer for another year or so, to see if it can stay rock solid for years as opposed to months, like my HE does.

Ha! What model are you running? My Hubitat required nightly reboots or it would slow down to a crawl.

I havea c5. If you had a c7 with zwave I wouldn't be surprised if you had some issues. Seems many users did. I think Silicon Labs has released or is about to release new 700 series firmware. Don't really know where that is at. Maybe someone with a c7 will know

I had a c5. Nothing but problems and headaches.

After reviewing this thread, I can say without a doubt homeseer is more reliable and worth the money.

However, I do miss the openness when it comes to writing code.