HomeSeer or Hubitat - Why?

No, not at all. I'm implying that a general purpose HA controller being re-purposed as a home security system with various Z sensors is likely to be a poor solution for that usage compared with a standalone security system.

Since this thread was resurrected, I figured I chime in again. Lol :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve managed to hit all targets in terms of moving everything over to HS and only using Hubitat as a gateway to all my zigbee/z-wave devices.

It wasnā€™t an easy task, and technically Iā€™m running the beta version of HS4 which still requires work.

The only gripe I have with Hubitat is speed of motion lighting and constant reboots.

Other then that, Hubitat is a great product! I wouldnā€™t necessarily recommend all the headaches, server build, money, and everything Iā€™ve done just to achieve a 300ms gain on my motion sensors, but... Iā€™m happy.

This is after the move to HS? I thought that was supposed to be "The Fix"

? Moving over to HS has fixed my motion lighting speed. Itā€™s 70ms now.

Sorry, I read have as still being problem. Maybe should be had? :innocent:

I don't understand?
If you've moved over to HS why are you still using Hubitat?

@jtmpush18, Well it's a long story so here's short version....

A while ago I developed a HomeSeer plugin to link with Hubitat. See HS didn't have good Zigbee support. So bridging them together was great. The plugin was working well even in first releases. Then came along HS4.....

With the direction of HS4 I gave the plugin over to another developer as HomeSeer management made decisions with HS4 that I nor other developers were fond of. So I voted with my wallet and their wallets by redirecting Simplex Technology development elsewhere. See HS takes 30% of every plugin sale. So I walked away from that taking their 30% with me.

1 Like

Device support mainly.

Hubitat has the great options of supporting community drivers l! This is something HS doesnā€™t have.

An excellent plugin if I might say.

1 Like

For those new to this thread (and super happy with HUbitat), can you describe where you landed?

Where do you use Habitat (HE) v.s. where you are still using HomeSeer (HS)?

Personally I'm looking to extend Hubitat with Node Red soon as opposed to something expensive like HS

1 Like

I agree with this! NR (and others) can provide an abstracted way of handling devices/service/hubs/etc. Switching hubs does not necessarily mean a complete reconfiguration.

As of right now, the only thing I'm using Hubitat for is to connect my 11 Z-wave plugs and contact sensors, and around 18 zigbee devices (Iris Plugs and Motion Sensors).

I have only the maker API app running, and I'm using Homeseer with the hubitat plugin to tie back to the devices under hubitat. Homeseer drives all my automation, Alexa TTS, routines, and voice control.

The reason for this, no need for reboots and faster automation.

I jumped into Homeseer when they were giving out the PI version for free then took advantage of their upgrade sale back in November.

The event engine for me is better. Meaning it's faster to string together an event then it is to create a rule under Hubitat. It's also much easier to modify an event. However, you don't get the flexibility you do with Hubitat's rule engine. Example, Else If statements with additional actions.

Again, this all comes at a much higher expense, with probably little gain on what you get from Hubitat. However, I'm picky about the speed of motion lighting!

HS4 is working with a Zigbee dongle. It's yet to be seen if they will have a big support list. If so, I may consider moving everything under HS. We will see....

1 Like

Awesome, thanks for the reply.
Sounds like HS is definitely not for me, and some of the things i'm looking to do that you are doing with HS I plan to attack through either; Writing my own groovy apps or leveraging Node Red.

It's been said if you can create your own groovy apps, you can speed up motion lighting because there is less overhead.

If you harness Node Red you're essentially doing what I'm doing, just using a different platform..... and you save money. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Of course with NR you can use both HE and HS and integrate them into your own setup along with most anything you can think of. NR is opensource (free as in freedom but also as in beer) so you aren't likely to have to bail on the platform if the "wind changes" or stops blowing.. just incorporate a new backend and tweak your flows.. :wink:

Homeseer's UI system looks great but I started down the SmartThings path which ultimately led to HE. HE is really good at handling a very diverse range of devices and is easy to set up but I don't know enough about HS to say if it's better or worse. HE's community rocks though..

1 Like

The community here is definitely good!

I donā€™t think you will see Homeseer belly up. As long as they continue releasing some free major plugins they seem to be doing.

HS is a lot of money. Honestly Iā€™m not sure I would of ventured down this path if I never got the pi version for free.

So whoever posted the free version of Homeseer on the Hubitat forum is to be blamed. :wink:

Since I put cash towards it, I felt I needed to make it work no matter what.

1 Like

HS used to make a good portion of their money from plugins. The 30% they took from developers on each plugin sale. HS has shot themselves in the foot by trying to (again...) develop plugins themselves in competition with some of their best plugin developers (JowiHue, Harmony) which has driven some developers away. This and the direction HS4 is going has turned off many developers as they are being expected to update to support HS4 which by the way actually means re-write your plugin to support HS4 so it's not a simple update AND give the users expect to get the HS4 version for FREE. So where's the incentive to developers to support HS4? The "new generation" of users HS4 is designed to attract aren't going to be paying for plugins either.... so... we'll see if HS pulls their stuff together or not...

Yeah... :slight_smile:

You would know more then I do.

It seems like theirs developers are still kicking around and updating things.

I donā€™t have a good base to compare hs3 to hs4 since I never used hs3 more then testing.

You donā€™t seem to be optimistic about the state of their future ?

Well... there's a lot to it. They'll stick around in some shape/form.

This is the main reason I won't get into bed with them.

I loathe Apple and all of the early developers that let them get away with setting this precedent. I despise everybody else for adopting it. I loathe Apple for locking their phones down under the guise of security and not allowing apps to be sideloaded. I'm horrified that Google is considering the same thing.

I hate any system that adopts a distribution system that penalizes developers and puts hands in the pockets of the creators and makers to take money they have no right to.

My opinion... screw HS for going back to that model.