HomeSeer or Hubitat - Why?

LOL!!!! oh wow... tonight is entertaining!!!! I gotta stop....

:slight_smile:

You never answered my question. Do they tend to promise things they fall through?

Yes. But to be fair, they also deliver on many things too.

I fully expect they will release something with zigbee in 2020... I also expect that it will be close to useless on launch, and take years to get where it needs to be (if it ever gets there).

No they deliver... eventually... something. Your question to them about Zigbee just wasn't specific enough to yield the results you may be wanting. As I already pointed out they have HS Zigbee so in their minds.... they already provide ZigBee... just may not be what YOU are wanting.

This is great info to know.

Seems every system has its faults.

I just wish motion lighting under Hubitat was slightly faster... 1/2 to 1 second before turning on. Homeseer I see like 150ms.

As of right now I have Homeseer shutdown. I’m only using Hubitat and dealing wth the slower motion results.

For many of us, Hubitat is much faster than what you’re experiencing. My motion lighting automations, using Iris 3326-L motion sensors and Lutron Caseta light switches/dimmers, run in about 190ms. Plenty fast for my needs.

3 Likes

Yeah makes no flipping sense.

I have the following app and driver codes installed.

Average temp
Presence virtual switch
Http momentary
Darksky

After several logging, I concluded the delay is from when the motion goes active to Hubitat executing and telling Lutron to turn on. The timing to Lutron and back is fast.

It appears to be an execution delay.

We feel the need, the need for speed. Surely we can get quicker than that. I mean, my brain doesn't compute that fast, but we must. go. faster!

2 Likes

Just fired up HASS and tried out the ZHA component again.. Wow, they've definitely made a lot of progress since I last tried it out. zha-quirks is the biggest help, I think I have almost 90% of my devices compatible OOTB with Hassio now.

Only missing stuff I care about now is my Schlage Zigbee lock, which Hubitat handles wonderfully.

edit: sorry to bring up Hass in a HomeSeer thread, perhaps it's best left to another discussion thread in the lounge.

I’ve been playing around with this today.

Managed to get stuff up. Lutron setup configured, zwave dongle, changing theme colours and placement of tiles on the main website. I made one small automation and reading through docs.

I still have plenty to look at.

How were you using Iris v2 sensor with Homeseer?

There was a Homeseer Hubitat plugin.

It was recently pulled off Homeseer. Another developer may be picking up the plugin and taking over the development of it.

I still have the plugin on my system. So I’m able to continue to use it.

All honesty though. If Hubitat can sort out my slow motion lighting and all my database errors I’ll probably ride Hubitat until hs4 comes out... I’ve already purchased it so I will be doing a full evaluation of it.

Lastly, I’m really contemplating moving over to Lutron radio ra2 for motion sensors. I have a Lutron Caseta system for all my lighting in the house. Not once in two years have I had a problem with that system.

Plus Lutron seems to be supported on every single home automation system. This alone keeps me from being tied to one system!

I've handed the plugin over to Michael McSharry. Continued development is up to him now. I'm going to put my focus on the ISY implementation as I'm no longer using HomeSeer.

And continue riding Hubitat afte HS4 is out too will be my prediction :slight_smile:

That's a very expensive proposition just for motion sensors. Caseta switches don't work with RR2 so you would simply be presenting the RR2 motion sensors to Hubitat and then using RM to control the Caseta switches.

You are correct that Lutron RR2 is supported on every system out there and for good reason. Easy to integrate and rock solid.

Well Crud I just went to download the plugin for homeseer to try out. OH well I'm kinda curious about this ISY implementation . Off to read some

With (slower) z-wave+ motion sensors and Caseta switches, the time between motion being detected and the light turning on is about twice that for me. Still fast enough. But going forward, I am replacing my z-wave sensors with zigbee equivalents (slowly, the new roof comes first!).

2 Likes

The plugin will be available again probably next week as I'm transferring the ownership to another developer. However that process is up to HomeSeer and however long it takes them.

That works... I'm off down the isy994 insteon rabbit hole now...

This plugin situation made me revisit HomeAssistant, I'm actually very impressed with how much the Zigbee and Z-wave implementations have improved. Even @iharyadi zigbee sensor works great!

Probably going to stay on HomeAssistant while HS4 pans out.

side note: Can even map out your Z-wave network that shows latency with a free plugin!

1 Like

Wow it looks like it has improved alot since I tried it last..

That’s true and the reasoning I would lean on Hubitat to tie it together or another product if I choose to go that way. Hopefully not.

I can have the repeater for 150 off eBay.