HomeSeer or Hubitat - Why?

For the semi-experienced tech person RM is relatively easy. I am not completely sure it's that way for the general public though. The issues are in the subtle details - but you could also argue understanding "Home Automation" concepts does require a certain level of knowledge anyway.

Replacing "Simple Lighting" with "Simple Automation" is a step in the right direction. For new users starting there as a way to ease into the logic of HE seems like really good idea.

If Homeseer crashes on an RPIE it was probably the SD card. I’ve had that happen to me in Home Assistant. I’ve since switched to Home Assistant on VM, and I’m using a Hubitat for Zigbee. I’ve been wondering what storage does the Hubitat use? Is there an SD in there waiting to die?

No, there's a Samsung KLM8G1GETF-B041 8 GB eMMC in there waiting to die. :wink:

Nothing lasts forever and you're not going to be replacing the eMMC IC when it does eventually give up. But it's a quality part, so as long as it's not being thrashed I wouldn't be surprised to see the vast majority still doing their job in a decade.

I've got crappy MMC storage around here that's 13 years old now, still working just fine.

You can link MyQ with Key by Amazon. Haven't done it but have considered it. Then the delivery driver can open it. Yeah that sounds a bit risky but..................

Sort of... I use X10 with the Hubitat... but it requires, in my case, an RPI running HomeGenie connected to the X10 Active Home power line interface. It works quite well actually... in some sense... it is more reliable than my silly zigbee network... I use a little driver Iwrote that connects the Hubitat to the Rpi via URL calls

So how and what is the state of Hubitat these days?

Homeseer has been rock solid since I moved off Hubitat. I honestly forget it’s running. It just runs for months.

Has Hubitat improved any?

I have zwave, zigbee, and Lutron. Around 100 devices and 60 or so automation and several dashboards. Over the course of two years, the only problems I have had is one zwave inovelli switch locking up (pulled the air gap problem fixed) and problems with a zwave thermostat that was quickly resolved. I honestly forget it's running. It just runs for years.

I guess you will have to run Homeseer for another year or so, to see if it can stay rock solid for years as opposed to months, like my HE does.

Ha! What model are you running? My Hubitat required nightly reboots or it would slow down to a crawl.

I havea c5. If you had a c7 with zwave I wouldn't be surprised if you had some issues. Seems many users did. I think Silicon Labs has released or is about to release new 700 series firmware. Don't really know where that is at. Maybe someone with a c7 will know

I had a c5. Nothing but problems and headaches.

After reviewing this thread, I can say without a doubt homeseer is more reliable and worth the money.

However, I do miss the openness when it comes to writing code.

If any of you Homeseer admirers would like to pick up a spare HS Pro-100 or Hometroller S4 drop me an IM I have some taking up space on my shelves. I love my Hubitat collection (1-C4, 2-C5s and 2-C7s). I will admit that HS was fun and very reliable - X10 was the limiting factor.

I run mine off a dedicated esxi host. Not sure others on here will be interested since this is Hubitat...

There is lots of people that have good success with Hubitat. Unfortunately, that wasn’t my case.

I can do more with homeseer by calling on custom bash scripts that interface with other things such as my Ford car for locking doors if forgotten to be locked..

I have been using Homeseer for years and have a lot invested in it, code wise. I added a Hubitat about 2 years ago and have been slowly migrating things over to it. I am using an excellent Homeseer plugin that allows me to replicate devices back to Homeseer from Hubitat. I really like taking advantage of both - there is nothing I can't do between one, the other, or both.

The Homeseer plugin runs off Maker API. It would be nice if it could speak to a native app on the hubitat side and allow automatic device creation in hubitat for identified homeseer devices. Unfortunately none of us know groovy well enough to do this. So if anyone is interested in this, let me know. Thanks.

Long time since my Homeseer days - but catch me up if you will. Does Homeseer work with Zigbee now?

Homeseer Zigbee Compatibility List

For what it's worth, looks like they currently list 9 devices on their Zigbee compatibility list.

Edit:
Looks like I should have read the notes at the bottom: Click here for a more comprehensive list and instructions The more comprehensive list has a total of 11 devices currently. :rofl:

2 Likes

Homeseer does not work with Zigbee. They manufacture Z-wave equipment so they have no interest in supporting Zigbee. The only real way to get Zigbee into Homeseer is through Hue, or do what I do - use a Hubitat. Using the Hubitat plugin for homeseer I can replicate everything from Hubitat into Homeseer.

What I want to do is to be able to mirror Homeseer devices into Hubitat. I am slowly migrating to Hubitat but it will take years because of the things I have setup in Homeseer. What this will take is an app on the Hubitat side. Would help a lot of people ease their migration. Thats the theory anyway.

1 Like

Looks like the Zigbee support is very low. So for the time being I'll leave my HS Pro100 on the shelf - still collecting dust. Thanks for the info fellows.

Interesting…

Why is this even remotely interesting?

No Zwave V2. Zigbee support is almost non-existent. If I was going with a souped-up Pi, I'd go with Home Assistant, a decent zwave v2 stick with the hope that ZwaveJs will support S2 etc in the future, and a decent zigbee radio that fully supports zigbee2mqtt (inplace of the Nortek that the HomeTroller Pi G2 suppots).

lol, I spent too much money (and time) over on that side before. Nickel and dime you to death with the plug-ins necessary to have a complete system.

Literally only supports 10 zigbee items.

Hard pass.

2 Likes